Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flip flop flames-Finally done-Lets see yours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diamondback, May 9, 2005.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback
    from Conway, SC

So finally after 6 months of talking about it I finally sanded her down and masked off for my flame job. 83 hrs later, she's finished. HOC blue to purple to bronze flip flop paint, 4 coats of Klear. I did flames on the front clip,roof, A pillars and the deck lid. Wow how long it took, both sides are identical and match perfectly. Unfortunately most people dont even notice the roof flames!?!??! Maybe I'll begin wet sanding it tonight, you cant even feel the ridges, however in the right light, (since its black) you can see a minimal ridge.

I know I'm not the first, so lets see your ghost or flip flop flames

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Nice work, but this is a traditional hot rod and custom forum.

3. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

That looks great man!

Too bad you couldn't have put them on something cooler!:rolleyes: :D

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

You did a nice job on them.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. I respect the work that went into those...but wtf? What Nads said. And, redline tires? Double wtf!

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

They really do look good. Good job!
    I wish I had that much painting talent.
    I too wouldn't pick a late model car for any type of flame job.
    But of course if I needed something to practice on,
    I think I may try them on my Toyota first.:D
    That way there, I won't damage or disfigure any of the important cars.:)

7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    from Conway, SC

The idea was to get your feedback and samples of what types of ghost/flip flop jobs you guys were doing. I am looking for ideas to possibly do do my 66 chevy pickup. A car guy is a car guy, and you can't tell me you dont have daily drivers too! I figured, try it on the daily driver, if it turns out OK THEN take the step to either one of my mustangs (65 cpe & 70 mach 1) or my 66 pickup.

Still looking for pictures and ideas

8. HoldFast

HoldFast

nice flame job. Don't let the comments bother you..there are people on this site who's lives seem to revolve around picking people and posts apart and forcing their opinions of fact on other people.

You get a thick skin being on this site because between the talent (tech posts) and the cool folks on the site you can weed out the ass holes.

9. ig'nant

ig'nant

I think their point is that they aren't doing "ghost/flip flop jobs", because they are working on traditional rods and kustoms.

Like others have said, it probably doesn't belong here, but since it already is, and you're talking about flaming your classic Mustang, I'll post mine.

Not exactly ghost or flip flop, but a heavy Black Pearl. They go to black based on the angle or lighting. This pic does a decent job of showing it...

[​IMG]

If the pic doesn't show, go here

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't kid yourself HoldFast - We have an entire team dedicated to picking people and posts apart around the clock. I recruited 'em myself.

Our skunk works has spent the last year prototyping a super traditional flat black flip flop flamed Cartier edition Lincoln to infiltrate shows and other message boards. Real black-ops type stuff.

You usually don't see 'em until it's too late.

11. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Mine aren't exactly flip-flop but they are gold pearl with candy yellow and orange over it.[​IMG] Picture thanks to www.craftecinc.com

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

From the photo, it is clear that you have some fine workmanship there. I suspect that they came out just as you intended.

On the other hand, I personally believe that if you are going to take the time and effort to flame a car, the paintjob ought to have bright enough colors and high enough contrast that it can be seen at a glance from four blocks away.

I guess I never did "get" ghost flames.......

13. HoldFast

HoldFast

HAAAAAAAAAAA>.....love it!!!!.

14. Looks good!

I think flip-flop flames look better on NEWER cars than they would OLDER cars...

Maybe go with a solid color or candy, or pearl on the pick up?

Sam.

15. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

yeah,i agree,the flames are supposed to be in your face kinda like a fuck you to the world!!

16. BORED

BORED
    from BOERNE,Tx

HoldFast]nice flame job. Don't let the comments bother you..there are people on this site who's lives seem to revolve around picking people and posts apart and forcing their opinions of fact on other people.

You get a thick skin being on this site because between the talent (tech posts) and the cool folks on the site you can weed out the ass holes.[/QUOTE]

Would this be called "Flamming the Flames"? or are people "Flip Flopping" on the position?!

17. Mike

Mike

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

man, he works for diamond back.. i wuold get angry about that car with those flames bein on here too.... but shit, i dig their tires, LOL

19. PooterWS6

PooterWS6
    from DFW, TX

That thing ever going to run again?:p
    Dont pull a "Tim":D

20. ig'nant

ig'nant

Shaddap kid. :D

Ordering $600 worth of engine parts today.

21. PooterWS6

PooterWS6
    from DFW, TX

Good man:cool:

I should be putting the TA on ebay this week sometime, after I get a truck, the nova will be begin:D

22. Merc63

Merc63

For YOU maybe. Others like subtlety.

This is the problem with so many on the HAMB: the idea that it's ok to insult people for doing things different that the way you'd do it, as though doing it different than you is wrong. If you like in your face flames, put them on your car. But that isn't the ONLY way to do flames "right."

Nothing wrong with subtle fames if you don't want to overpower the bodywork. I'm doing ghosted flames in teh side panel on my Comet.

23. monsterflake

monsterflake

i think the only right way to make flames is with a leaking gas tank and broken rear suspension...

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't. Look, we GET IT already. You like "different" stuff that for the most part does not fit in here. That's cool. I think most people can deal with it in small doses.

Now here's the OTHER problem with the HAMB. People who won't just let someone take the verbal smacking around they deserve for posting pictures of a late model car painted with flip flop paint? I don't mean to tear the guy down or anything but Christ, there wasn't even any good tech in there. Just new car and new paint on a board that has always been about old hot rods and customs.

We were just having fun...now don't make everyone here get mean.

25. What is that? A Saturn with Mazda rims? pretty traditional...

26. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

flames,flames,flames,,,,theres no reason for everyone to get pissed.There are as many styles,colors,shape,flaked,pearl,striped,not striped,as there are the cars or bikes that they go on.BUT nothing in my opinion says HOT ROD as yellow flames on a black car with a blue stripe.Everybody has there own taste,,ill paint that real fire all day on bikes even though its not my thing,,it still looks cool as hell.Sure beats a stock paint job.JUST MY OPINION...

27. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

Hey Merc 63 Your Car Looks Killer,no Doubt About It!!!!

28. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

I saw this merc with ghost flames this last weekend in Merced CA

29. Merc63

Merc63

Yeah, sorry. I forgot this board was about old farts acting like 12 year olds. There's no "tech" in being assholes to others, either, but that doesn't stop you... ;) Flames are traditional in any sort of style, and asking about them, and especially asking to see more is on topic as much as asking to see random '60s customs, even if the person ASKING has a late model they painted that way. He wasn't asking to see other late model cars, or asking to have this become a late model board, so maybe using a few of those old brain cells before going off on someone would be warranted.

I would expect this sort of immaturity on a ricer board, but here?

And since my last post had been only talking about flames can be traditional and they don't have to be in your face to be traditional, this crap about me liking all kinds of cars just shows you to be considerably more of an ass than you need to be.