Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flexplate question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

What flexplate should I run with a 283 SBC and 350TH tranny combo? (tooth count, etc.) They were all neutrally balanced, correct?

2. squirrel

squirrel

The 283s were neutral balance, you should be able to use any V8 flexplate from a non-400 or non-454 chevy engine made before 1987. There are a few oddballs that won't work, but the one you want is very common.

However you need to match the starter to the flexplate, you can use either the 153 tooth with the straight across bolt starter (one long, one short bolt), or 168 tooth with the staggered bolt starter (two long bolts).

I'm assuming your block has the appropriate starter bolt holes in it, the early ones might not!

3. I can,t remember a 283 with the diagonal bolt pattern for the starter so I,ll go with the smaller diameter flex plate and the straight across pattern starter.

4. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky