Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flexible Exhaust PIPE (aka ripple pipe), where???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Nov 11, 2010.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

is this shit still around or what? anyone know who may still sell it? haven't heard anything new on it in a while and a buddy and me are lookin for some.

2. you mean flexpipe? adavanced auto sells it in 5 or 6 foot lengths at least they do around here

3. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Last bunch I got was from J.C. Whitney when they were still around.

Michael

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they still are

5. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Go to your local NAPA store.They have two versions of it.One in NAPA exhaust and one in the Balkamp line.

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

The "ribbed", ( for her......), never mind.........

Ribbed, on convoluted, around it's circumference, which will help it "give" a little, but I would not refer to it as "flex".

The "flex pipe" is usually spiral wrap/ locked material, similar in design to the "armored" electrical cable, which I think id referred to as "BX".

Hope this helps ya'!:D

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Should be available at any auto parts supplier.

Hope you only want to use it for fitting and mock up purposes. It is good to mock up rad hoses or exhaust, then throw it in the trash when you have it done properly.

Don't put it into service as actual working exhaust pipe. Or anything else for that matter.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You can't find it because it's illegal in alot of states.

9. oo7jbondistm

oo7jbondistm
    from Upstate NY

Advance Auto part, auto zone and napa all have it. Walker exhaust is a major manufacturer of it I found bulk rolls of it for cheap on amazon. Not sure why they would sell it as an exhaust component if it wasnt ok to use. The stuff that I have seen has been heat rated for exhaust system use but I could be wrong

10. Bull

Bull

I think Titus had a couple lengths of it for sale. PM him.

11. Malarky

Malarky

I got a 4' length from Advance for $25 They have a few different sizes.

12. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

im not meaning the stuff that is super flexible.. i am looking for the shit that is regular exhaust pipe but is rippled (convoluted) so as to make it "easier" to bend... was popular in the 60's on show cars and show bikes... for reference Evel's Live Wire A coupe's headers.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And again, for mock up purposes only ! NOT for use as finished components. Can we say mickey mouse ??

14. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

You talking about this stuff? I am using this stuff to mock up some exhaust bends. Its stainless steel and wont bend more than about a 45. They are only 18" long. They have the other flex pipe stuff too, real cheapy looking crap, but this is different than that.

Picked up at autozone in the exhaust section for about $7

LINK

[​IMG]

15. 117harv

117harv

[​IMG]

This type tubing is what he is looking for.

16. Yes, there was some for sale a month or so ago in the classifieds, but as I recall, he was out of the 2 inch OD size already, and pickin's were getting slim on the rest of it...

17. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Like what was on the winfield truck is what he is talking about, pic included.

[​IMG]

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I wanted to run 1.75" flex type spaghetti exhaust all the way back from the manifolds but the fact that I can't find the right stuff has me looking for other options.

The reason why I wanted to run it all the way back was because my '35 had it installed front to back when I got it and I thought it was a neat touch. If I would have known how rare it's become I wouldn't have thrown out the long section I have of it when I took it out!!! Damn it!

19. JJ. I just bought a 10 ft stick of the stuff at my local NAPA.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I love the way you think, you must read the old magizines as much as i do!

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

y'all need to quit badmouthing flex pipe. That stuff was more traditional back in the 50s than half the stuff I see people hanging on their rides. It was a quick way for a HS kid to create dual exhaust and/or solve piping problems if the car was lowered in the rear. Of course it was cheap, that's why we used it. Yes, it blew out after a while, but then ya just bolted on some more. Once we were actually earning decent money (or had gotten smarter), we eschewed the use of that dreadful stuff and put on REAL duals, with pipes and everything, but in the meantime - it was a quick route to the good noise of "twice pipes".

dj

22. I believe Mooneyes are doing it now.

23. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER