Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flexible Dip Sticks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurplePearl50, Nov 1, 2009.

1. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Has anyone used the flexible dip sticks. I have no room to run a dipstick on my daily driver. The block is pre-79 and the exhaust manifolds are post 80. There is no way to put a solid tube in there? Is the actual stick the same as a stock stick? or is it a more flexible piece?

Im guessing Ill need a 45 to 75 degree angle to get out from under the manifold.

Thanks Dane

2. squirrel

squirrel

flexible dipsticks suck, the tube is so small it is hard to get the oil into it.

I'd shorten a stocker cut a hole in the floor for access before I'd run a flexible one.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

I hope this is a joke. He is not talking about a tranny.

4. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

haha its for the freaking oil dip stick haha Im not going to be filling it through the dip stick.

5. It happens to everyone eventually:D Don't be embarrassed.
    [​IMG]

6. squirrel

squirrel

oh.....the only flexible dipsticks I've seen are for transmissions, so I just assumed it was for a trans, not the engine...doh....you were talking about a SBC.

I'd put the early manifold on it.

7. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

The flexible ones work fine, just like the trans ones. Sometimes they are slightly harder to get the teflon stick back in, but when you need a way around something, they are an easy way out.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I'm gonna have to subscribe to Street Rodder magazine so I can keep up with the latest stuff....

9. Lokar makes a flexible engine oil dipstick for the SBC

10. Time to join the OFC!!-MIKE:eek::D

11. chopped

chopped

Don't know about the oil but with them being shiny trans fluid dosen't show up very good. Lightly sand it and score the full line to make it easier to see.

12. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I ran into the same problem you are having, older block with newer manifolds....in my experience nothing will work. The flexible tubes for the dipsticks still have a solid end that sticks up out of the block too far and hits the manifold. You may get lucky and find something that works, I went with headers so problem solved there. Some early Novas had a dipstick in the side of the oil pan like a BBC does...maybe another route.

13. 8flat

8flat

You're not thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy.

14. Vid

Vid
    from Norco, CA

On the subject of TRANS dipsticks, I have a TH350 that I need a solution for. The Lokar ones are nice, but I want to make my own. My thought is to cut both ends off of my OEM unit and slide them in the I.D. of a piece of braided stainless and hose clamp them.