Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flex plate and torque convertors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Dec 30, 2017.

1. For you guys with lots of auto trans wisdom: I'm having to buy pieces to get the trans and engine married up. I didn't get a flex plate with the engine when I bought it so I bought one at O'reilly's. 168 tooth if IRC. It does work with the starter. I was going to stick the trans on the block today but checked a couple of things first and found the bolt pattern for the conv. to be smaller that the flex plate. The conv. pattern is 9 1/4 and the flex plate is right at 10". Also the bolt holes in the flex for the conv. are 1/2" holes and the holes in the conv. are 3/8" (7/16 won't go in the hole.) Can one of you steer me in the right direction. I have little knowledge in these. THANKS!!! Tim

2. squirrel

squirrel

How about a little more info on the converter? and the part number of the flex plate?

Sounds like a little converter, and a normal size flex plate...but does the flex plate have two different bolt patterns on it? some do, some don't

3. Jim: Thanks for responding. You are always a big help and give great, accurate advice. Her's some more info. The convertor came with the trans from the shop that built it. That's all I really know. The plate is a Pioneer product # FRA 113, pics included. Six holes in the plate but one pattern The tag on the conv. says th350hs with a date. Thanks. 011.JPG 012.JPG

4. BJR

BJR

Never seen a converter without threaded holes in it. With the setup you have if the pattern was correct you would need bolts and nuts to bolt it together.

5. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    you need a flex plate with two hole patterns. Also I have had to drill the holes in the flex plate to the size of the holes in converter and use the right size capscrews and lock nuts.
    Regards
    Dave

timwhit likes this.
  6. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

you have not been around chevy's much

egads, Oilguy, BJR and 3 others like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

You got the flex plate for a TH400 with the 6 lug converter, not for a TH350. Try again...maybe the FRA-100 would do what you want.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Thanks!!! I'll follow up on Monday after I've been to the parts store.

9. Dave: Thanks for the reponse and Welcome to the Hamb!!!! Tim

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. BJR

BJR

You are correct, Cads and Pontiacs mainly.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Unless it just the paint on that converter......that front side looks funny to me.
    Almost like someone fixed a ballooning problem?

egads likes this.
  13. It does look like a rather rough stamping. Otherwise , just a 350 converter.
    As Jim said , the flex is a HD , truck , or RV 6 lug T 400 unit (350 engine, no balance weight)

timwhit likes this.
  14. Jim: I took the flex plate back and switched it for the fra100 and it is correct. I also took the convertor and trans back ot the trans shop that built it. I couldn't get it to "seat" in the tranny and they had to figth it. Actually, the shop owner saw the "waffling" look on the front of it and wanted to swap it out also. So, now I have correct flex plate, new convertor and a new set of convertor bolts with the trans married up to the engine and mounted back in the fresh chassis. Down hill from here..(some body's famous last words). Thanks all for the help and info. Tim

squirrel and saltflats like this.