Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flemke front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by s10ace, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Any one out there have any info on the Flemke front suspension? It was a 2 split leaf springs on a straight axle. These were used on early 70's modifieds. How about some pictures of this suspension? I'm in the process of acumulating some info to restore an old race car.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

He had the pleasure of being Eddie,s Friend & Fellow Racer.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting idea, two 1/4 elipticals in place of a single buggy. Gary

4. I have to call him!! been busy.

Anyone out there have any pictures of old stock car front ends?

5. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

6. Thanks modifieddriver for emailing the pics of the Flemke front end setup. Any one else have any? Any comments on how these cars handled using this setup?

Attached Files:

7. Dave50

Dave50

His son Eddie jr may be able to help you he is part owner of Raceworks in Berlin ct 1-860-829-1312 still builds,fabs, and races today

8. Any one out there have pics of a front end with springs like the ones in the picture? They are 2 1/8" wide and 18" eye-to-eye.

Attached Files:

9. long island vic

long island vic

i think richie put one on,but cut it rite off,,,guess it wasn,t the hot setup

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I only have a few photos of the Flemke design - transverse dual 1/4 eliptical. Not to hijack your thread, I also have some pix of another interesting arrangement, a pivoting leaf, that I reallly like the looks of and might even install in a modified style street car some day. Quite a few, but not all, of the photos I posted of this other design are from 60-70's style Wisconsin modifieds. Gary

Attached Files:

11. ganga

ganga

I have a vintage modified with a Flemke front end. PM me and I will send you some pictures when I get home next week.

12. Thanks for posting any pictures of front end setups for vintage race cars. Would like to see some rear end setups as well. "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Thanks

13. GANGA,

Does your car with the Flemke front end have an early Chevy chassis? What year (if you know)? I have a posting on my project:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579200

Have discovered the old frame I took the roll cage from is 2 inches narrower. Could make some measurements of your cage? the 4 posts welded to frame and the width where the cross member for the Flemke springs are located? Any help and pictures would be appreciated. I have to make a desision on mounting the cage on the inside of the frame or fabricate a new cage.

Thanks

14. ganga

ganga

My frame is a 1936 chevrolet. I will measure later today and post. I sent a bunch of pics to you email.

15. Thanks for the pics. How about a picture of the whole car? I am going to post a diagram of the front cross member for the Flemke. I need some dimentions on the parts needed. I could probably guess once I get the 6 cyl. engine out and original crossmeber, but it would save some time and brain power if I had some original dimentions to go by. The engine and crossmember will be out in a couple weeks, my weekends are tyed up for a while and maybe I will be getting another frame anyway without an engine and trans in the way. I picked up a 48 straight axle, spindles, and radius rods at Rhinebeck Car show this past weekend. Hopefully I will be getting a quick change rear this weekend. If not a 3/4 t Ford rear the following weekend. Seems lately I been spending the weekends chacing down parts.
    If anyone has some dimentions of the cross member, center plate and hole distances, it would bee appreciated. I'll post a rough drawing later this evening. Thanks.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One more shot from this weekend. This car had multiple spring fulcrum(?) points and ditto for the inner spring mount. This car was at a show last weekend. It is from the northeast. I think the owner told me it was a dirt car but later ran only pavement. It runs pavement now in historic races and sees some street time, too, evidently. The inline Chevy makes around almost 500 hp. Gary

Attached Files:

17. Do you have any other pictures of that car? What show was it at? Rhinebeck? if so, damn I missed it.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

19. Here are some pictures of the flemke front end. On two of the pictures I am indicating and needing the dimentions. What do you think they should be? Did I leave out any?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

20. ganga

ganga

Nice offset on that chassis

21. ganga,

Thanks for sending the pictures of your car and getting the measurments. You have an awsome car.

22. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Long Island Vic, I think you're confusing two different eras. Richie Evans ran a Flemke front end for years, as did just about every top asphalt Modified in the second half of the 1960s. You might be thinking of the straight-axle car Richie built in 1980, but never liked. It raced only once, with Mike Stefanik driving at Thompson. But Richie did have Eddie Flemke practice the car at Stafford earlier, knowing the mastery Eddie had had in the straight-axle days. After Stefanik raced it, the car was sold to Marty Radewick.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  23. Went to look at an old modified today to get some pics of a Flemke front end. Here they are along with some rear leaf spring sliders!

Attached Files:

s.e.charles likes this.
  24. Went to Fonda,Ny and saw some vintage modifieds. Here is another example of a Flemke front end and rear leaf spring setup.

Attached Files:

s.e.charles likes this.
  25. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Bumped into this in FIREBIRD,OT, I was looking at. had no idea what the guy was talking about. glad i didn't drive the 350mi to check out!

26. What are you trying to say? What does FIREBIRD have to do with Flemke front suspension?

27. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

that was exactly my point! the seller was claiming it had a flemke front suspension! until this thread i had no clue what he was talking about. i didn't see the actual car. where in upstate ny are you located? i will be in richmondville for a few weeks this fall.

28. Here is another example of a Flemke front end on a car I saw at Fonda speedway a couple weeks ago. I am glad I got some good pics to show where to place the crossmember. I have another post on build a 36 coupe modified and have a mockup of the crossmember and spring plate. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

s.e.charles likes this.