Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flatty heads ID/info HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheaterslick, Jan 2, 2004.

1. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

I just bought a set of Weiand fin-less aluminum 24-stud heads. The # is C7RA6050R and are marked Canada. I remember a post about them before I think, but can't find it. Anyone know the history or what years they were made?
    Thanks in advance.

2. I know that in Canada many times flatheads came with one alulminum head. Obviously not of the weiand variety. I also know that in Canada it's way to cold for me to drag my sissy ass out to the shop today...
    Pic o my flatty. Can't take credit for it. Bought it as pictured..

Attached Files:

3. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Here are some pics - one head had some welding done to it, guess we'll see if it's useable soon enough -

Attached Files:

4. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Attached Files:

5. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Attached Files:

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm pretty sure these were "cheater" heads used in stock car racing. Cool find!

[​IMG]

7. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Yes that's what I was told as well, that they were "cheater heads"...cool...anyone know what years?

8. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

9. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I just bought a set of Weiand fin-less aluminum 24-stud heads.
    The # is C7RA6050R and are marked Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

There appears to be a couple of large washers welded on the rad hose outlets. (not stock) Some people did this to restrict coolant flow. It was supposed to keep the engine cooler.

The number you gave is for stock ALUMINUM heads that Ford Canada supplied. Those would be for pre 1949.

If they are "cheater" heads (and Weiand will never admit to ever making them!) then be careful that they aren't a higher compression than stock, and would would go even higher compression when you have them resurfaced. (they look like they will need resurfacing from the photo)

As far as the weld. That kind of crack was common on engines that only had water in them and then froze. If it was done properly and will pass a pressure test, then it should be good to go.

If I had to make a guess; you bought a set of stock Canadian heads. The last letter indicates the side of the engine it was for (e.g. R = right, L = left) but the heads will interchange from side to side. If both heads end with "R", then you have TWO right side heads.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    This is the Canadian head that Weiand copied. Your "cheater heads" have Weiand cast on the under side of the upper hose connection where it couldn't be seen by the tech. inspectors while they were on the motor. This stock canadian head doesn't have the Weiand logo.

11. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

The water restrictors are thread in and can apparently be unscewed. Will measuring the chamber size in cc's give me an idea on the CR? Cool that they appear to be the Weind "cheaters". Just need to figure out how to tell if they're high CR heads already. Thanks for the help, I'm stoked!!!

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I think the fact that they ARE Weiand heads indicates they are high compression - that is a relative term BTW. There'd be no reason for Weiand to reproduce stock compression AND hide their name AND replicate casting numbers....

I have heard of folks using aluminum repair compounds such as mareine-tex or certanium (sp?) to repair the electrolytic corrosion around the water holes, but I have no experience with this.

If you have your heart set on using these & they requier a bit of milling to clean up, you could borrow some heads you know to be good (don't necessarily have to be Weiand) & replicate the chamber shape & size - a lot of work, but like I said, if you've gotta use those heads...

[​IMG]

13. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

You can get a rough idea of the current CR without spending money by CCing the chambers. Stock 59A is 76, I believe the Weiand is around 60.
    Current Edelbrock and the Offy 400 are 58; if you get much smaller then you get into 93 octane and above.

Those sizes are rough, Ive found a +/- 2-3 cc variance due to casting tolerances and sloppy machining.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I bought one of Speedways cheap CC kits. They are made for Chevys and the plastic cover doesn't quite cover the whole combustion/transfer area but you can get repeatable results. If you can find a cheap beaker graduated in CCs, a simple plastic plate with a hole will tell the tale.

A light coating of grease on the head surface seals the plate. They recomended using alcohol tinted with food coloring. Start with beaker filled to 100 CCs. Fill the combustion and transfer area through the hole. When it's filled subtract the remaining CCs in the beaker from the 100 CC starting point. Don't forget to use the correct spark plug you plan to run. You will have to guestimate the CC volume for the valve pockets in the block and the gasket thickness. Very simple.

I wish someone would CC unaltered stock and off the shelf hot rod heads. Then comparisons could be made when restoring used hot rod heads.

15. Spooky

Spooky

Wow, CS, I saw those on EBay and wondered what the history of 'em were. Good to see 'em go to a HAMBer home. What year do ya suppose they are from?

16. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Still don't know the years, but as DiggerDave mentioned the #'s match 49 & prior. Guessing 50's era race heads? Thanks for the info on repairing them. There are some crazy aluminum repair materials available now, used alot for filling poke-throughs on aluminum heads off all types. I suppose opening up the chambers wouldn't be too hard if that's what was necessary. Just imagining them fully polished! [​IMG]

17. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    This is the Canadian head that Weiand copied. Your "cheater heads" have Weiand cast on the under side of the upper hose connection where it couldn't be seen by the tech. inspectors while they were on the motor. This stock canadian head doesn't have the Weiand logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are Tommy. I shouldn't look at pictures with dirty glasses! I missed the "Weiand" logo.

For a CC comparison; I sent Mike Bishop a NOS head (in the original box!) last summer. That might be a source for a "bench mark."

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I should CC this head. It's NOS. I'll have to try to remember where I put that CC kit.

I had a buddy weld up a set of block letter Sharp heads. We milled them back to perfect. I think they came out about 68-72 CCs I didn't write it down.