Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flatheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32owner, Apr 25, 2020.

1. 32owner

32owner

i have a 1952 flathead in a 32 ford runs great but just pulled motor to replace clutch while out i pulled the intake to see how dirty and was very clean pulled the offy heads and found a couple valves that are white compared to others in pictures. it has adjustable lifter and was wondering if they were out of adjustment. any one in eastern ohio that could adjust them i have never messed with them before and have heard they are a bitch any hrlp would be greatly appreciated thanks thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg

2. The exhaust valves that are white are the ones that are sealing correctly .
    The exhaust should have a really nice light tan color,,,,and the intakes should be a dark tan .
    At least usually on a well tuned engine .
    Yours still doesn’t look all that bad,,,,,after all it is an old engine .
    You can check the valve clearance while the intake is off,,,it’s easy now .

Tommy

stillrunners likes this.
  3. 32owner

32owner

is there any instruction on how to set the valves. it valves a special tool correct. thanks for the help

4. Well,,,you need some feeler gauges to check the clearance .

Tommy

5. 32owner

32owner

i have those but don't it require a special wrench. what should they be set at

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

look at the casting where the lifters bores are, is there a small hole in each lifter bore? thats for sticking an allen wrench or similar in to hold the lifter while adjusting the nut. most builders drill the hole, its a bitch with out it. check van pelts sight for the clearances.

7. 32owner

32owner

thanks a bunch for the help i will take a shot tomorrow. my 52 has a thumper cam and offy heads and edmonds intake will the cam make my settings different

8. prpmmp

prpmmp

I adjust 1 cylinder at a time, Turning the engine over by hand, Set the intake valve when the exhaust valve starts to open. Set the exhaust valve when the intake valve starts to close. I believe this method is to insure the valve you are adjusting has the lifter on the heal of the cam. I have a Kiwi L100 and the lash is .016 for both intake and exhaust, Hope this helps! Pete

town sedan likes this.
  9. 32owner

32owner

they all cleaned up only had small deposits it ran so good the last 3 summers i hate to change anything thanks to all for the input

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

11. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

One of the guys on here (from Switzerland / France) user name CheatersPete makes a nifty flathead valve indexer dial tool that takes all the guess work out of it. You can certainly do it with out the tool but my buddy who is a mechanic and has worked on a lot of flat heads took quite a while to do mine so I think the tool is good value.

Here is a link to his valve indexer post tool in the traditional forum of the HAMB.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...exer-for-ford-flathead.1004332/#post-12852595

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020