Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATHEADS let's see them and be proud and flaunt them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by continentaljohn, Jan 6, 2007.

1. cruzr

cruzr

many happy miles on this one !

Attached Files:

2. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

3. Touche mofo!!!!

Danny

4. Hi Mate,

I have a killer Harrell manifold coming my way and I'm thinking about the powder coating option as well. Can you tell me more about the process or the finish? Can you tell its "coated". It looks great from the pics.

Danny

5. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

6. Another

[​IMG]

Binga

7. Very nice mate.

8. Looks to be relived, too. Do all the "99" blocks have the keystone water ports and raised intake surface? I have a couple of these blocks, and knew they were special, but do not know a whole lot about them.
    Can anyone shed some light on this subject???

9. I'd be interested to see if its mere flathead legend that these blocks were better then any other particular blocks.

Danny

10. swifty

swifty

Hey Binga that looks nice, in fact it looks better than nice!It looks great but where is the screen and the guards and the licence plate?
    Probably a few things I can't see like clutch linkage and working brakes and stuff like that which is missing too.

Now how about posting a close-up of those Waggott heads cos a lot of folks won't have seen them before.

swifty

11. Montechris

Montechris

I'm no expert, maybe if Bruce Lancaster is reading he can fill us on on the details. From what i understand, the key to the 99a is the super thick cylinder walls it comes with.

12. Montechris

Montechris

13. Flatattack

Flatattack

Hey Danny,

There was a thread on here a few days ago about either ceramic or powder coating with a chrome like finish. There was a link to a manufacturers site in the States with a photo of a late model intake and it looked great - just like highly polished alloy. Lots of positive feedback too.

On the other hand, my painter has a 53 2 door with an Edmunds dual and factory alloy heads. He had them glass bead blasted and clear coated them with brush on POR15. Been on for around 3 years and still look as good as the first day.

Bruce

14. Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. I remember that post but I had a hard time tracking down a local powder coater who knew what I wanted. I've also heard that once that powercoating goes on, its on for life, very hard to blast off.

Maybe the Por15 is the way to go?

Danny

15. Brian Dumais

Brian Dumais

16. swifty

swifty

Danny,
    What is the temp limitations of powdercoating versus the ceramic coatings like Jet-Hot or HPC? I would be inclined to go more for the ceramics unless someone has had experience with the powdercoat on engine parts like heads for example.
    Also what about the special bead blasting like Flatoz has used on all his alloy bits?

swifty

17. Hi Swifty,

The new powdercoating process is said to be extremely temp, UV and solvent resistant, and can he done in matt, satin or gloss finishes. One drawback is that it acts as a themal insulator so will trap heat inside the heads (limiting the cooling effect of the fins?). The main reson I'm considering it over jet hot et al is that its clear and available in a matt finish, so its very close to a natural alloy finish. From what I could see the others are all a coloured coating.

Coreyy's soda blasting looks good and has the sort of finish that is what I'm aiming for.

Danny

18. Here's mine....not as pretty as most, but does have headers, adjustable lifters, 8BA crank and rods, Mallory dizzy and a Winfield SU-1A cam. Gets the old 41 Tudor right down the road!

Attached Files:

19. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

The Waco Kid @ Bonneville 2006

Attached Files:

20. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

The Flatty in the Waco Kid the day she emerged from the barn after a 43 year sleep in 1998

Attached Files:

21. Ask and ye shall receive

[​IMG]

Binga

22. swifty

swifty

Hey Binga the polisher nearly deleted the Sydney bit! They look good tho, don't see too many of them. Not like Offy and Edelbrock which are everywhere.
    I notice you had to do a bit of bending to clear your steering uni.

swifty

23. Gerald did a good job getting those headers to clear everything.

Binga

24. Flatattack

Flatattack

Try this

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153914

I'll probably ceramic coat my injection and heads but if you are going for a natural look i think the POR15 treatment is awesome. If I remember correctly I think Brootal had his rocker covers on his Rumbler clear powder coated after polishing. I don't think he was 100% happy - you there Boris??...what's the story???

25. Hi Mate,

Maybe the POR15 is the go. I know VHT do a high temp satin clear as well. One good hting about paint is that if I dont like it I can blast it off but I've heard its almost impossible to get the powerdercoating off its that tough.

I should just get my old stock intake blasted and experiment with a couple different finishes.

Bit left of field, but does anyone know what the temp of a set of flathead headers would get up to? I have the lakes style and with the exhaust running through the block I was thinking maybe flathead exhaust would be cooler then an OHV one? Reason I ask is that you can get brake caliper paint that withstands up to 482`C in a better range of finishes then the shitty standard matt black/white header paint.

Danny

26. Flatattack

Flatattack

Get em HPC coated Danny, & they'll never discolour or flake!