Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead water pump question - yes...I searched

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Trying to save on drive time and hoping to stop at the hardware store BEFORE driving 30 minutes to where my flatty is and 20 minutes away from the nearest hardware store.

Vehicle: 40 Ford truck
    Engine: Stock '40 Ford Flathead (head is marked A)
    New Water pump: In box with the truck

Need to replace the driver side water pump, due to it excessively leaking. I have not removed the old one yet, but when I was reading VanPelt's site, they recommend using a stainless steel bolt for the lower bolt that is inside the pump housing. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_waterpump-removal.htm

I believe that I read that they are a 5/16 bolt, but I don't know the appropriate length. I would assume that they are not fine thread, too.

Thanks.

2. 36tbird

36tbird

3/8" course thread. I just measured one that I removed and the thread area was about 1 3/8". You could be safe and buy 1 1/2" and trim them if required. Don't forget stainless lock washer and never seize. I even put a thin flat washer on mine. Hope that helps.

3. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I remember it being 9/16" across the flats which would make it a 3/8" HHCS. I can't remember if all 4 were the same length though. I hate getting old:)

4. Awesome! Thanks guys! Saves me a good 40 minutes of drive time!

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Replace 'em both at same time.....And remember that one bolt is inside, thru the lower hose fitting.......

4TTRUK

6. 36tbird

36tbird

There is one longer one, the center one that can be accessed normally. I hope you were just asking about the ones you get to inside the pump.

7. yes, it was regarding the one inside the pump. I plan on using the filthy old bolts for the other 3.

I do appreciate the help on this one!

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

3/8-16 X 1 1/8 (you need 8, plus lockwashers)

A lttle known feature of Ford parts catalog: Right below the listing for most parts, there is a listing of the fasteners and washers (this bolt gets lockwashers) needed and the number needed. Perfect for those hardware runs.
    Some like this give you the bolt features directly, others give you a part number to decode in the hardware section at back of catalog.