Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead water pump conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kelgar50, May 22, 2009.

1. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Was wanting to find out if anybody here is using this flathead water pump conversion kit from cornhusker?It uses a water pump from a 348-409 chevy and is mounted to an adaptor to the stock water pump location.
    Seems like a good idea and I would think this setup might cool a little better.

[​IMG]

2. RAY With

RAY With

First I have heard of it but looks promising to me and looks like it eliminates a lower hose and radiator connection..

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

This conversion has been available for years. It is a shame that it uses an obsolete water pump though.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

This is gunna come across as a bit offensive, but WHY would anyone want to run a Flattie if they are going to junk it up with modern stuff? Run a 350 then, I'll even admit they are MORE reliable and get better power, otherwise if you want an old motor accept it's quirks and it's traditional look.

Millions of people drove flatheads daily over 75 years, and many still do. If put togather traditional and maintained proper they will work good, just like anyother motor

5. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Water pump is not obsolete you can get them still they run about $150.
    This was just a thought I seen this and thought it would be interesting have not read anything posted about this setup yet.
    I take no offence to what you say about the whole modern deal but what would be the difference in doing the conversion on the flathead as opposed to people doing the conversion on the early hemi engines.It is the same right? There also a kit for the hemi that uses a chevy water pump and people do not seem to see that as a problem.

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Paul2748

Paul2748

You are 100 % right

alanp561 likes this.