Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead/w Chevy Distributor/ Firing Order Rotation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard Reed, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

OK, I`ve seen several posts here about which way the firing order rotation should be when a Chevy distributor is used in a flat head. Some say clockwise, others say counter clockwise. I know the firing order and have the engine set at TDC and the rotor button pointing at #1 cylinder. This is a Bubba modified Chevy distributor. I picked one of the terminal posts and called it #1. The engine is 59A(shouldn`t matter if it was a 8BA). Now, which way do I start the firing order on the cap, cw or ccw? I hope this will clear up any confusion I have. Thank you.

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chevy has CW rotation, same as an 8BA. The front mounted 59A distributor runs CCW, so how are you adapting the Chevy to your 59A?

3. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Why not ask Bubba?

4. dudley32

dudley32

You could turn the engine over and watch it...wouldn't have to turn it far...

Johnny Gee and Budget36 like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you want to install a Chevy dist. on an early style block you will have to change the timing cover and
    the cam gear. There might be some other changes required also. Why would you do this when there are good performing crab style distributors available?

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. You would adapt the Chevy distributor by using the 8BA timing cover and machining the distributor to fit the cover,,,that is the only way I have seen it done anyway .
    And if that is the way you have,,,it is driven clockwise .
    Besides,,,I have never seen a SBC distributor that was made for CCW rotation,,,the counter weights would not work for advance .

Tommy

town sedan likes this.