Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects flathead vs sbc engine in a ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by clips221, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,nice engine........But what's that thing on the left upper??? Is is one of them AC current things ? :D

2. What C.I.D. is that caddy engine? Looks tough!

3. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

That's what I love about this site. within two pages the original question is lost.
    If you use the right bait,you'll get a number of bites, it worked again..have a good life..

4. TERPU

TERPU

Not meant to hijack the post, but the motor is a '53 331 CI Cad. The intake is a stock '56 2x4 set up with early Vette WCFB's. I have since collected original Cad ones and will put them on the new engine. This ones really tired, so I built a '62 390. Same look lots more go. And yes I run Alternators because I got tired of shitty voltage regulators, generators, and being dead on the side of the road. That's a pretty cool one though and is from the 60's.

But to answer the original post- OH's will be alot more fun in the long run.

All the best,

Tim

5. TERPU

TERPU

I used a '39 Box with 28 tooth cluster. But I have a QC and 8:50-15's in the rear so it goes down the highway just fine with a final 3:54 Ratio. The new motor has a Four Speed bell housing so it may get a T-5 eventually. 4 speed for now. Cad motors are the best of all the stuff we love for sure.

All the best,

Tim

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I had a 40 Std. Coupe with a 327 and stock trans and rearend. Drove it every day afte I rebuilt the transmission myself, then had a few weeks hiatus while a pro rebuilt my next transmission. After a year the rearend left town, I was't hard on it either, and I waited to find a 3.27:1 rear gear set. Got one after 3 more months and had the rear rebuilt. Never had trouble with drivtrain again. Just a matter of the right parts in the right hands.
    Bucks-wise, the SBC is the best ticket and the usual replacement sine 1955 for the old reliable flattie.
    P.S. I do have a fresh-built (30+ years ago)flattie, 59A with 8BA valve train, waiting to go in my new T bucket project with a C4 behind it. The weak part of an early Ford is the trans/rearend, not the flattie.