Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead valve stuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RLK, Feb 22, 2009.

1. RLK

RLK

Posted a couple of weeks ago, had a feeling my stock '50 Merc flathead had a miss, but being new to flatties thought maybe i was wrong. Finally got to look at it today and found my miss. I've put probably 300 miles on this car since i've got it, and the way it's running is the same, so it was like this when I got it. Dumb### me. Need suggestions on what to do. Don't want to tear down whole motor right now, it was running very well on 7 cylinders!!! i'm short on time and want to take it to the Lonestar Roundup, so need to get it going. #1 exhaust valve appeared stuck. Pulled intake, looks like it lost its keeper . Found all the pieces laying there, valve spring had caught the edge of lifter bolt, so at least it held it of the cam. Cam appears o.k. Valve bent. Lifter body is worn on face. Don't want to change cam now so it seems a waste to get a whole set of lifters. Can't find anyplace selling just one. Exhaust valves I've found online say the are .060 oversize. Will these work in my stocker? I need 1 valve, 1valve spring retainer, 1 valve guide , 1 valve guide retainer. What would you guys do. Clock is ticking til April. Thanks also, does it look like my head gasket was fixin to blow? Should i replace other side too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. gas pumper

gas pumper

Can't help you with the parts. But you'd think somebody here would have saved some used stuff you could use.

Id say the head gasket was gone. It should not be black and showing a trail like that. Pull the other head, too.

Show a picture of the lifter face.

3. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I understand that Egge Machine will sell just one valve, etc. Also try Sacramento Vintage Ford. pigpen

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes - any of the early Ford stock houses should do components for one valve - check Mac's, Sacramento, C&G, Joblot, etc.

5. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

and next time,fix it before you fuck it. it works out to be a lot cheaper if you stop and see what is wrong rather than try and keep driving. :):)

6. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Get ahold of Mike at H and H flatheads in La Crescenta CA, he probably has what you need just laying around and if he doesn't he can help you know what to do. I'm pretty sure he's on the Hamb too.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lifter really should not be badly worn...I'd pull some sample other ones and look for wear. There have been lots of too-damn-soft lifters sold in recent times. You don't want a set of bad lifters continuously dumping shredded metal into your engine.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I could donate a used set in fairly good shape if you're interested.

PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, carefully measure lift on the lobe you are now working on. If bad lifter has removed the surface of cam lobe, cam will continue to wear and dump metal.
    Mild cams with good lifters almost don't wear, as flathead valve gear is very lightly stressed. I strongly suspect you have been sold some soft lifters and that you need to check everything to be sure they did not eat your cam.

10. When resurrecting my '51 Club Coupe, I found the source of a miss to be an intake valve that had seized in the guide and punched completely through the lifter.

Dennis Carpenter sold the necessary repair parts...valve, guide, guide retainer, retainer seal, split valve keepers, and lifter...individually, excepting the valve guide seal, but that complete set was only $3.