Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead V8 polished flywheel question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Friday was hectic but had time to pick up both my shaved and polished flywheels after a 3 month wait. Sure are smooth :). It was raining cats and dogs so they were covered and i put them in the trunk. Left them in the car and took them inside Saturday . No, this is not a rain drop stain question :rolleyes:. A few hours later i had a good look and noticed that both pilot bearings were removed by the machine shop. Question. Is this common practice for resurfacing/shaving. Should i go back to the shop and moan that the pilot bearings are gone or just order two new pilot bearings. We all like pics so here they are.
    flywheel 2.JPG flywheel 3.JPG

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Did they go to the shop with new bearings? If so I would ask to have them back. If they were old I would want to start with fresh ones anyway. I see you're in the Netherlands so maybe a bit more hassle, but that would be my approach.

3. adam401

adam401
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last flywheel I had lightened and surfaced they removed the pilot bearing and I popped one back in when I got it home. Im not sure if its a necessity to machine it but I'm sure theres a machinist on here that can answer that

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

The bearings do need to be removed there’s a tapered cone the is bolted through the center of the flywheel to fasten it to the grinding table. And I fully agree with that if they were old bearings then the should be replaced. Not sure if the prices were you are but there not expensive on the states.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. Thanks guys, I read somewhere that the pilot bearing is the same size as the generator/pulley bearing as fitted to model A fords. Should be no problem to find new ones here.