Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 installation problems in a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatred53, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Hi

I wonder if someone could give me advice about problems with space when install flathead 81a in a 28 model A. I don’t want to use an electric fan, so I wonder if I should rebuild the engine with the crab style distributor or the later 49-53 style. I’m also having plans to lower the body over the frame, so I have to mount the fan as 49-53. If someone has any picks of a 28-29 model A with V8 flathead and stock fan installation, I would be happy to see.

Lars

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you do a search using "flathead dimensions", I posted a lot of early engine combination dimensions and others added in some late engine stuff.
    By far the shortest setup is early with fan on the generator. Late cannot be made as short because waterpumps have first row of pulleys out far enough to clear the distributor drive. Separate fan setup as used on '42-48 and '49-53 adds a great deal to length, and these two groups are actually the same length if the separate fan is kept.