Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 Ford bb

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jzorg34, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jzorg34

Jzorg34

Hello all I have some questions that I hoped could get answered here. To start I have a 1932 ford bb dually flatbed. It has a model b 4 cylinder in it right now and I have a flathead V8 I am planning on putting in it. The questions I have is will the flathead bolt up to the stock trans? I also have the trans to go with the V8 I could put in. Secondly, how much horsepower will the transmission handle? I'm not planning on putting a bunch of horsepower to it but I'd like to get it somewhere between 130 and 150

2. The "B" transmission sill not bolt up to the V8 engine. The V8 is not going to hurt the the V8 transmission if it is in good shape.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of current threads over on the Ford Barn about BB trucks.

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Does the BB 4cylinder run?
    I don't know what your plans are but in stock configuration those trucks were 30-50MPH vehicles.
    The limitation is the drivetrain and brakes. If you are keeping everything pretty much stock, it really does not matter what engine you use, it's still a 30-50MPH tops vehicle.
    What I'm getting at is, if the BB4 runs or could be made to run, there's not that much advantage to change the engine unless you change a lot more...mechanical brakes....rear axle....ect ect ect
    Truthfully....120-150HP is optimistic even on a "hopped up" 8BA.

tractorguy and Flathead Dave like this.

5. banjorear

banjorear

I was thinking the same thing. The rear end ratio must be pretty low to pull this rig, so it really isn't going to matter what engine is in front of it.

6. Jzorg34

Jzorg34

The two reasons I am putting the V8 in is the 4 cylinder had a catastrophic failure some point in it's life and has a very bad cylinder, and I've had this V8 for a long time to put in it just for the fact that it's a V8

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

No. Your current trans will not bolt up to your 8BA and I don't know of a kit to make it fit.

8. Jzorg34

Jzorg34

Thanks for the response. I have a V8 trans also but before I pulled my old one I wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to bolt it to the 4 cylinders transmission.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

There are kits that will bolt the T5 and C4 transmissions to the flathead. Which trans are you going to use on your 8BA?

10. Something to consider here, and I am not sure of this but the guys over on the Ford Barn could tell you. If the frame is set up for a 4 cyl, you will have to add motor mounts for the V-8 and possibly beef it up a bit. Also, like was said before, the diff is going to limit your top speed, gears are made for them I believe that you can get to increase the top speed. You may want to check on AA forum and ask there since the trucks share a lot of parts. Also, If you want, get an A block and hop it up, get a high comp head, cam and carb and you will see a huge jump in power. The speed parts are out there and not that expensive, plus they are better than the B parts.

Mike