Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead trans swap pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillybassman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Thought this might be of interest. I got a F150 84-87 2WD trans and wanted to instal it so to the casual eye it just looked like an original flattie trans. Since these pics were taken I've painted it black, same as my 47 Ford flathead engine. The front is the usual cast adapter (from MacsSpeed, a perfect work of art) with a Falcon clutch and early Ford throwout bearing and fork.
    The back was a bit harder. I cut the mounting flange off the tailshaft housing and ground it flat. Then I made a steel duplicate from 5/16" plate, which I drilled and tapped for the six 3/8 UNC bolts that hold the flathead trans bearing retainer/trans mount. The tailshaft I cut and in the tradition of trying to do everything myself, I cut the splines for the flathead universal joint with my trusty Dremel. Came out pretty good, spins true. Next step is shorten the driveshaft and torque tube to suit, about 3 1/2". I've already shortened it once, so might be easier this time. I'm really looking forward to having all synchros and an overdrive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. neat and tidy

3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Great swap ,gives the original look and no breakages ,did you put a seal in the rear before the uni.and did you bolt the uni onto the shaft like original?,I am doing a 3 speed mustang trans with jeep shift into a model A ,not sure if I could be that accurate Dremel cutting a spline,,

4. reefer

reefer

Great swap.....would that combo fit a stock deuce frame without cutting the k member....the holy grail of gearbox swaps?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, runs good on the road? what rear gear ratio using? good alternative to standard swaps.

6. Roddy.... No seal.... doesn't need one. The early Ford trans had no seal, the little bit of oil that got through the rear main bearing is the lube for the universal joint. The oil seal is on the cup assembly at the front of the torque tube. Yes, I drilled and tapped the main shaft to bolt on the u/j.

Reefer.... no, it's about 3 3/4" inches longer than stock.

Joker..... still out of the car so hasn't run yet. The trans has similar ratios to stock trans (except all synchro) and the overdrive is I think 27.6%. Rear ratio is 3.78. I have a spare 4.11 set I can swap in if I need to.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. thats bad ass man,way better than that t-5 chevy bullshit

8. lawman

lawman

Great picture's and swap !!!!

9. daddio211

daddio211

VERY cool. I wonder if the US trans would be as easy, with the clutch linkage on the other side? Do you know if these guys make a bell housing for left hand drive?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. The bell I used came from www.macsspeed.com and is supplied with a long, undrilled cross shaft so you can drill the holes for the fork and the lever wherever you want them. So yes, it will do LHD. Graeme supplies to the USA.

11. daddio , MAc's Bells are interchangable . Just turn the shaft over and hang your LHD lever on the left .

I'll get you a website in a minute ....

12. Damm Marty ! .... did it really take me that long to type that ?? .....
    You have a FKN Time machine ? :eek:

13. Ole don

Ole don

Us Yanks could use a 49 passenger stamped steel belhousing if bolting it to an 8BA

14. You could. Mine is a C59A. I might add, the bellhousing from Macsspeed had indexing holes, and everything lined up perfectly, no mods needed at all.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Super Nice !!!!!!!!! I used the same "bellhousing" from Speedway, and bolted a 3 speed RUG trans behind it. Nice pic of the holder for the t.o bearing spring.

Keep us posted......and Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

ole don, they also made that bellhousing in cast iron.

4TTRUK

17. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Let us know how it works.

18. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the input guys. This is good info!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. Found an ID chart that places my trans as being from a 302 V8 truck, and the ratios are 1st=3.2508, 2nd=1.9213, 3rd= 1.0000, 4th=.7837, which gives 27.6%OD.

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

pps; When using that "49" stamped steel bellhousing, you also need to use the oil pan with the 3 studs in the bottom. Those are for the support bracket, that fits between the bottom front of the bellhousing, to the oil pan studs. This support is needed to prevent the steel bell housing from flexing. This can occur because of the long distance between the engine / trans mounting locations. I can supply photos, if you need. Happy Roddin'

4TTRUK