Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead trans options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Mar 5, 2006.

1. I have been collecting parts to build a 32 Ford pickup since I bought the frame and cab in 1981. It has gone through many incarnations in my mind over the last 25 years, from a full-fendered resto rod, to a high boy etc.

I have decided to make an old-school chopped and channelled rough and ready flat black hot rod. I have gone through a number of different engines in this process, and have ended up with a '41 59AB flathead from a cabover.
    What choices are there for transmissions? I have the four speed that came with the engine, but I think the square cut gears and ratios would make it a poor hot rod tranny. I also have a C-4 and have been thinking about using an adapter. What others can I use with an open driveline and a Ford 9" rear? Thanks for the help.

2. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

3. johndanger

johndanger

we just put a 49-51 ford trans with overdrive in my buddys 40 ford coupe , it bolts right up and the overdrive is awesome ,it even worked with the 40 column shifter and with the rear end out of a 55? ( pre 9 inch ) ford truck it even had the right bolt pattern for the early ford rims. I tell you the overdrive is awesome.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor