Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead trans input shaft question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimW, Nov 4, 2004.

1. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to make a transmission adapter to put my s-10 5 speed behing an 8ba. I have the late bellhousing and and even though the ford 5 speeds seem to basically be a bolt on, I am using what I have which is the g.m. transmission. My question is, can anyone measure the input shaft on an early ford and give me a length from the end where the pilot bushing goes back to the mounting ears on the trans? I want to check this distance against the g.m. so that I know how thick to make the adapter. Thanks, Tim

2. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Just wanted to send it back to the top since I posted this question late last night. I am looking for the length on the later type trans input shaft. thx Tim

3. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Just measured my 39 ford box. From the end of the input shaft to the mount face of the box measures 720mm. Hope this helps.

4. Mart

Mart

Sounds a bit long, that Jim, sure there shouldn't be a decimal point in there samewhere??? LOL.
    If it were me, I would take a series of measurements from the bellhousingface, to:
    The bottom of the crank drilling.
    The flywheel face.
    The rearmost face of the spigot bearing.
    The rearmost part of the splines with a clutch plate against the flywheel.

From there you can draw a diagram of all the required lengths and how they relate to the length of the input shaft in your box.

Hopefully it should all stack up ok.

Get measuring.

Mart.

5. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Your right on that one Mart just testing but then again iam always missing the point.

6. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I measured a 49 3 speed that came out of my 49 shoebox..From the face (the flat part that butts up to the bellhousing) to the end of the imput shaft was 6 1/4 inches..Hope that helps

7. Bigdog is correct, 6.25 inches..... let's see some pictures of that adpt. when it's finished..!

8. TimW

TimW
    from Kentucky

Thanks guys, as always I seem to find what I need here. I'll post some pics when I get it finished, I hope that I don't drag this one out as long as some other projects!