Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead tranny adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jake//NC\\Mi, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

Iam going to pick up a 53 flathead tomorrow and i already have a t5 chevy tranny so my question is who has the best adapter for the money? and what else would i need to get with it to make it work? thanks

2. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

The adapter is made by Offenhauser.

If you're handy, buy just the adapter. They make two versions, one with a late Ford or Chevy style throwout arm, and another with a '40 Ford style throwout arm. Get the one you need. You'll also need a clutch disc that is the same diameter and approximately the same thickness and button dimensions as your current flathead disc but it will have to have splines that match up with the T5. You'll have to buy or make an input shaft bushing or bearing and you might have to grind on the bellhousing a little for starter clearance. Oh, and you might be able to re-use your hardware, but you may need to purchase new nuts and bolts.

If you aren't feeling all that handy, you can order a ready-to-go package from Cornhuskers that is supposed to have all the little parts with it, and is a strick bolt-together setup.

3. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Try Mark Kirby at Motor city flathead they do a T5 adapter costs around 200 bucks.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hey Jake...I used the Chevy arm style adaptor in my Bucket. It's easy. Uses and S-10 clutch. I had my toolmaker dad drill the flywheel to accept it. Had an old clutch fork from a three speed Saginaw layin' around and it works great. The 'ol Flattie will more than keep up with modern cars with this tranny. It's a '51 Merc stock 'cept for a major cleanin' and a two pot intake. It even keeps up with my bro's '96 Mustang GT to a point and it gets 25 mile per gallon with the overdrive!!!!!!!

5. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

I got mine from speedway

6. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

thanks for the input i called alot of places most were about the same price.i ended up getting it from flat-o the guy i talked to on the phone seemed to be the most helpful and he was $80 cheaper.