Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flathead to 3.03

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breakfastst0ut, Jul 22, 2020.

1. breakfastst0ut

breakfastst0ut

I have a 65 econoline with a junk inline 6 paired to a HEF 3.03 toploader. I also have a 8RT flathead. I'm sure you can see where this is going. I'd like to adapt the 3.03 to the flathead but have been coming up short finding a bellhousing that will marry the two. I don't want to resort to a C4, I'd like to keep that third pedal. Does this particular bellhousing not exist? Any help is much appreciated.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model Engineering makes an adapter that will allow you to bolt up to a 1/2 bell from either a truck or a Merc. Gene is hard to get a hold of but worth it.
    330-644-3450
    He has or had a web site but it wasn't the best. I recommend calling him. You'll probably have to leave a message but he will return your call. His stuff is top notch. IMHO.

3. What 1oldtimer said....you will have to fabricate the motor mounts - oil pan should not be a problem....

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If this is going to be raced, or even if you value your feet and legs, a Lakewood scatter shield for a SBC can be redrilled to fit an 8ba block. It is a relatively simple matter to get to almost any transmission then.

5. breakfastst0ut

breakfastst0ut

Looks like I'll be on the hunt for an 8BA bellhousing then. I'm having a little trouble figuring out a clutch that will work. The one that's on the flathead now is 10 spline 1.375" which is normal. What I'm finding abnormal is the size of the input shaft on the toploader is only .93" 10 spline. From all my readings the toploader input shaft only came in 1.375" and 1.0625". This toploader came off a 170 inline 6. HEF BS on the id tag. I'm not really finding anything specific the the HEF BS designation. It's probably the weakest toploader ever made. I wonder if it is even too fragile for a v8?

6. breakfastst0ut

breakfastst0ut

I should mention its the 3 speed not 4.

7. It is the weakest, they made 3 from what I understand (6cyl, V8 small block and V8 big block). The big block came with a steel tailshaft housing, the others an aluminum one. I have one from an FE for my project. I was going to run the disc from what the trans came from and the cover from a Merc.