Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead + T5 + Diaphragm Pressure Plate Using An S10 Throw Out Bearing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vergil, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Vergil

Vergil

Thought I would throw this in with the other T5 projects. I wanted to use a diaphragm pressure plate but the ford throw out bearing was to large to fit the finger tips on the pressure plate. Here are a few pictures of how I used the S10 throw out bearing with the ford bearing retainer. It has worked well for me.

[​IMG]

Above is the finished assy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture below shows where the outer flange was removed from the S10 bearing so it could be pressed into the retainer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is probably an easier way to do it but this how I done mine. I didn't record any of the dimensions while doing it but the pictures shows another way to use the t5 with a diaphragm pressure plate. I used a Centerforce II 10" pressure plate and Cornhuskers clutch disk.

Vergil

2. 32guy

32guy
    from Montana

Vergil, been looking at your throw out bearing setup, looks like a great idea. I have an early block with truck bellhousing, hooking to a top loader 4-speed (Jeep shifter) witha 10 spline 1 1/16 inpit shaft. Would like to use a Centerforce clutch for, hopefully, less pedal effort. The ads say that a Centerforce flywheel must be used, is this true? Or, can a Ford flywheel be redrilled to fit? I already have the flywheel lightened to 23 lbs. and would like to use it. Their flywheel is expen$ive. Most of the info on here about Centerforce and flatheads was not too positive. Any help would be appreciated, would like to buy only one clutch. Thanks, Bob

3. Vergil

Vergil

Bob I don't see why you shouldn't be able to uise the stock (lightened) flywheel. I was going to buy a flywheel so went ahead and bought the Centerforce. I am running two flatheads with the Centerforce setup and so far it has been trouble free. On the '31 coupe I removed the loose weights from the pressure plate but on the '30 pickup I used them. Can't tell any difference with or without, The '31 coupe will chirp the tires going into fourth gear under high rpm so there is no slippage there (I said chirp not spin, lol). I bought both clutch disks from Cornhuskers. On the '30 pickup I used the s10 throwout bearing against the Centerforce pressure plate without an adapter, added material to the Ford yoke fingers to fit the s10 bearing and has worked out good also.

Vergil

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Now that's using your head. A man that thinks a bit and has access to a lathe and mill can be flat inventive!

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nicely done. Great way to address one of the common questions!