Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead T-5 problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poolmike, Oct 9, 2010.

1. flyinlow1000

flyinlow1000
    from SE Wa. St.

Last Saturday I took the '34 out for it's first spin around the block. It shook the hell out of the car when releasing the clutch. So on Sun I built a set of bar out of 5/8 and ran them from the Speedway bellhousing to a couple holes in the bottom of the K braces. Probably around 18 inches long. Weather permited another trip around the neighborhood yesterday and a major improvement. It's something I can live with now.

2. Something to consider hear, Maybe overlooking something...The t5 imput shaft pilot size is not the same as the ford and needs a special pilot bearing you can purchase them from Speedway for a small price.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I much prefer bushings to bearings, especially in adaptations. Far more forgiving of minor misalignment. And when I say minor, I mean on the order of a few thousandths of an inch.

4. Oh sorry I ment bushing

5. Dino

Dino

Very interesting thread, as I am just finishing a T5 swap into my '50 convertible with flathead. I'm using the round T-5 mount. I guess I had better do the anti-chatter thing too.