Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead starts...Then I turn off...Needs a minute to start again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom_lettering, Jul 12, 2018.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

My 58ab motor starts easily. It's tuned beautifly. You have to look at the gauges to even know it's running. But after shutting it off it needs 1 minute to start again. It cranks over but does not fire but if you leave it alone for 1 minute it turns over in a split second. Almost as if there's a timer on it.
    Any ideas?

2. is it bone stock? modified?
    points and condenser or pertronix?
    mechanical fuel pump or electric?
    one carb? two carbs? three carbs? more? (that is the last Dr. Seuss reference, I promise)
    does this occur when it is up to operating temp, only when its cold, or all the time no matter the temp?
    has it always done this or is this a new development?
    what color is the block painted? :D
    thanks
    Chappy

3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Vapor lock often causes a vehicle to fail to start after the driver shuts it off for a few minutes. It also causes cars to stall in slow traffic, when the engine tends to operate at a higher than normal temperature. The condition is caused by the heat in the engine compartment vaporizing the fuel in the fuel pump and lines.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. spark - fuel - compression.....check the first two....