Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead starter drive flat-o

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulie_boy13, Jul 6, 2011.

1. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

I assembled my flat-o adapter today and during mock up. After installing the crank spacer I was checking to see if the starter drive was engaged to the flywheel.

the starter drive gear spins on a threaded shaft on the drive. I'm assuming the flathead starter pulls the drive gear forward to engage the flywheel when bumped.(?)

My question is: So should the starter drive gear not engage the flywheel on the full course of travel around the threaded drive? (only engaging from being "pulled" into the flywheel)

full travel stop (towards trans)
    [​IMG]

Threaded forward Makes contact (but not engaged)
    <a href="http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/acesn8s/?action=view&current=896403ca.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</

I think I've been in the garage too long.

Edit: this is a shrink fit starter gear. When bumped it pulls the pinion forward friction kicks the gear back until it engages, then it spins the flywheel. Duh. I need to check the garage for fumes leaking somewhere. Kill this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. George/Maine

George/Maine

If spacer with the Flatomatic it puts the flexplate back to far.
    I can only think of one thing you can do with old starter.
    The surface that contacts starter plate,mill or turn back about 1/8 so starter goes in farther.Flatomatic sells a alum start plate that could be made thiner.
    I,m using the mini starter that comes in from the front and works good.