Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Spark Plug Help (Raise a plug?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Would like to know if anybody has run into this and what your fix has been, I have a set of Flathead aluminum heads that take the larger diameter spark plug, I put the autolite 386 plugs in and mocked everything up and the valve hits the electrode. I need to get the plug raised up, I did try two washers on the plug and it helped but not quite enough, to me it sounds to risky to put 3 washers on. Does anybody know of another plug that may be a bit shorter and would pull the electrode up in the head a bit. Right know i'm about 1/8 to long.

2. Champion makes solid washers for some sizes, check with them.

3. studefreak

studefreak

I had the same issue with my weiands . Used a autolite 216 and worked fine

4. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Doubt that it would work, the 386's are 18MM plugs:)

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Does anybody know if a 18mm to 14mm adapter raises it at all or does it just put the 14mm in the same place. I may buy an adapter and measure it up.

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

A LONG time ago I used 18-14 adaptors in a Knuckle head Harley, they raised the plug enough I used longer reach plugs for a 230 Chevy. Hope the few memory cells I have left are working today. Now can anyone out there tell me where my keys are?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Whatever those adaptors do to height, you'll at least have a larger range of plugs to choose from!

8. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Looks like they would raise it quite a bit but if necessary could possibly be machined to the exact requirements.

Attached Files: