Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead relief texture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

So I ported and half relieved my 1953 8ba block. I made my intake ports rough so the fuel tumbles in with the air. That what my boss said to do. It makes better atomization. I polished all the valves and all of that. Now I relieved it. But I was wondering if I should leave the relief rough or should I polish it out and make it smooth? And btw I will be using a 2 or 3 deuce intake with sharp high compression heads.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I'm kinda thinking they will want to know kind of engine/manifold/heads you're working on.

3. Boden

Boden

Oh sorry. I didn’t even think about that. Haha

4. Seems like his post covered that:confused:.Flathead,2or3 deuce intake,sharp heads.

5. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Yes, now that he edited the post to include it...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

No...he really didn't say what the block is...but we can guess by his avatar..!

I port overhead valve heads, have for 30 or so years. Only done two flat head blocks.
    On the first, I left the surface smooth, but not polished. The second, years later, as I do in over head intake ports, is to let a carbide cutter kind of lightly bounce on the surface, making tiny little craters. That is, guide the cutter over the surface after final shaping, but do not use any downward pressure on the iron surface.

What your "boss" said is sorta correct. While it does not make the "atomization" better...it does help to make sure that at low air/fuel flow speeds (low rpm), fuel droplets have a tendency to stick to polished or smooth surfaces, then when you hit the throttle, the big drops are forced off of the surface by the new higher flow speed and end up in the chamber as BIG drops...not good.
    You want the smallest droplets as you can get. This is why modern fuel injection is good, the drops are VERY small. Small droplets ignite easier/faster than larger drops to make better power.
    Like 60 or 40 grit sand paper surface vs. 600 grit paper surface. 60/40 grit surface good, 600 surface, not so good.

Mike

kadillackid and Boden like this.
  7. Boden

Boden

Ok. Thank you very much.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great explanation!

9. polish the exhausts, leave the intakes rough

10. Sorry Casey,old eyes didn't notice.

11. I would think that you want the relieved portion of the block (down stream of the valves) smooth (if not polished). It is part of the combustion chamber and you don't want any hotspots. My flathead was factory relieved...and it's smooth.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

13. alchemy

alchemy

Mike and Carl are talking about the ports. The question was what to do with the relieved area inside the combustion chamber? I'd say make it smooth. Less chance for any build up of carbon. The underside of the heads should be nice and smooth too, if you want to go to the work.

anothercarguy likes this.
  14. Relieved area should be smooth to prevent carbon build-up and hotspots.

15. x2 on polished combustion chamber

16. On a street flat head you probably will never tell the difference. But in your head you will be convinced.
    Enjoy

17. bored.030.JPG
    Factory relief on a 1947 truck flathead.

18. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

That's the most important part.