Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead plymouth 6 fan and 51 plymouth owner

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by plymouth1951, Dec 31, 2010.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

hi all,

who/where i am:
    M name is Michael and my login is Plymouth1951. I live in glendale california.

My project: I am currently building a mild performance plymouth flathead with vintage speed parts as follows: 230 cu inch with .080 oversize pistons, earl edgerton long duration higher lift cam, edmunds dual carter carb intake, edmunds finned aluminum head, and slightly larger stainless intake/exhaust valves from chevy 350. I also, have some fenton look alike cast iron dual exhaust manifolds. as for the ignition, i am still running a clean good working 6 volt stock system. i just installed(for fun and learning experience only) a rebuilt stock distributor w/ a vintage Vulcan dual point conversion plate. I also located a vintage waterproof distributor from a military application dodge flathead 6 that will work; this large beast looks like a vintage finned aluminum magneto........which is why i was considering using it. as for suspension, all stock....other than i found a 3 speed overdrive trans for it which is pretty rare and i have high hopes this will make this car more pleasurable to drive on the high way.

Car uses: i drive around town weekly in this 2 door all stock coup and enjoy cruising around it. also, once a year i take the car "drag" racing....each year adding some speed gadgets. this year hope to have the new engine in with the above performance mods..................and i am looking for a 4.1 or 4.3 rearend for this car to better my 1/4 mile time (still researching this)

Wants and needs for my car project(email me at [email protected] if you have any of this at reasonable prices...thx) :

1)Oil filter ---cool looking beehive or other similar vintage looking in line oil filter that will look good w/ my setup. no modern looking stuff.

2) Rear end: vintage 40's or 50's mopar (plymouth or dodge or ???) stock rear end that will bolt on to my stock car with a higher than normal ratio. i think i have a 3.7 or 3.9:1. reason: i want to do better in the quarter mile. currently, my third gear is a total dog in the quarter mile and i believe negatively effects my quarter mile. i would only use this rear end at quarter mile time.... not for the rest of the year. so my goal is to get a clean good used bolt in rear end from brakes/backing plate to backing plate. i dont want to pay much for this either but if you have one that is taking up space, please advise, thx.

3) future motor project: subsequent to having my 230 block machined i learned that a "big" block desoto or chrysler or (dodge truck) 251 or 265 cubic inch flathead 6 will bolt right into my plymouth. this being the case, i would like to locate a clean and complete rebuildable engine pan to carb setup to tuck away into my garage until i can get the dough, courage and time to build a similar mild performance engine.....just for fun.

i guess this covers the basic intro duction of me and my interests for participation on this site. this is my first attempt at such a website.

thanks, mike, rita(wife), nick(son) and alexandra(daughter)

2. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

What's up man from Spring Tx.

3. hkestes

hkestes

Welcome aboard.

You will love the OD once you get it installed. I put one from a 53 in my 48 Club Coupe with 4.1 gear and it made all the difference in the world on the highway. I can now run at 70 on the highway with no problems.

4. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

hi, thx for info on your use of overdrive and the 4.1 gear ratio. it would be helpful to know what rpms you are running at 55/60, 65 and 70 mph approx. just curious and its a little late to do the math! thx for any info,

5. Welcome to the H.A.M.B.from maryland

6. thinkfink

thinkfink

welcome from Amsterdam.

7. Welcome from Connecticut

8. big bad john

big bad john

......Mike....welcome aboard....enjoy the ride on the H.A.M.B.......Big Bad John

9. Welcome from Long Beach from another Plymouth owner.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands and another Plymouth owner.

11. Welcome for australia. 10 point for the plymouth, got any pictures?