Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead on an engine stand *pictures*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 48flyer

48flyer

Does anyone have pictures of a flathead bolted to an engine stand that can be started and run this way?
    I have a 53 Merc engine, but I had to remove the flywheel to mount it to my stand.
    I'm hoping someone has better ideas to be able to start it and run it on the stand. Thanks

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

the mounts I've seen attache to the header bolt holes. but I dont think you can start it that way.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I wouldn't think running a flathead, or any other engine for that matter, on an engine stand would be the safe thing to do:eek:

Buy or build a dedicated run stand. They aren't that hard to build or expensive to buy.

4. Il_52

Il_52
    from Morris, IL

It would probably just be easier to fabricate a stand, or modify an engine stand to mount in a better location.

5. x2!

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Your typical "engine stand" is not a platform for running an engine - too unstable. It's designed to allow you to rotate the engine as you build/assemble it. As just suggested above, purchase yourself a dedicated four (or more) wheeled frame designed to properly stabilize the engine while running. There's a lot of torque involved in rotating masses - ask any pilot.

Do it the safe way...you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

dj

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Best test platforms that I've seen are front sections of old car or truck frames converted to stationary use. Weld on some legs and you have yourself a test stand.

8. squirrel

squirrel

At the junkyard we used to run engines all the time when they were on dollys. The dolly had vertical parts that the oil pan rail set on. Sort of like this, but different....they were not as tall, and the vertical parts were just 1x1/4" steel bars.

I'd think about making a wood pallet or something to set it on, make sure there's no way for it to flip over or fall over.

[​IMG]

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Boy that would be funny to see a flathead spinning out on the concrete wouldn't it!!! :D

10. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

There is a video of a dude on youtube running a flathead that is sitting on the floor of
    his garage, maybe on a tire or something.. He starts playing with the carb, and the
    thing looks like it is going to take off across the floor.. with the fan blade going..
    Didn't look too smart. I was thinking about making a cradle out of scrap 2x4's
    and putting wheels on it, just to roll around in my garage. But would still be a little
    scared to start an engine on it, unless it was strapped down..

11. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

12. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Here is the one i've been working on. Not quite finished yet. Needs to be wired and the exhaust isn't built yet. Made from pieces from an A frame, a '37 front crossmember and scrap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 48flyer

48flyer

I will definately build a floor stand for it. It's going to be a display engine anyways so I might as well be smart about it. Thanks guys

14. :Dthis guy started just a stand a few years back then got side tracked. But just across the street found this one.

Attached Files:

15. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

There are companies that make stands just for flathead to bolt up to so you can run them

16. bct

bct

what are you going to bolt the starter to?

17. bct

bct

bolt the trans. on and drop it into a spare tire

18. rokcrln

rokcrln

19. Ole don

Ole don

If you can lay your hands on an old grocery shoping cart, they make a great engine stand. Cut off the basket, and strengthen the back, I lengthened mine a foot. The casters work good with an engine on it. I welded uprights on the back with many holes to line up with different bell housing bolt holes. If its a big HP engine, you may have to stand on the left side when you wing it.

20. Been using this one for years, made it myself with old parts laying around, and a set of jag 12v fans......
    [​IMG]

21. kerker

kerker

Maybe this will give you some ideas. It will mount different engines also.
    Dick

Attached Files:

22. 48flyer

48flyer

23. indyjps

indyjps

Ive built 2 of them in the past, first was very quick and dirty, second was set up for SBC SBF, a friend and I were rebuilding them to sell and ran the engine for the buyer. steel tube or angle. plenty of base to stabilize it, room for headers/ manifolds, starter, flywheel. battery tray, swap meet gauges, tach, radiator.
    depends on what youre trying to do, start up and break in on cam needs some RPM.