Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead oil pan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 effie, Dec 20, 2007.

1. 53 effie

53 effie

Been scounging some flathead parts and am wondering which oil pan is best for a 33 or 34. I am planning to build a 8BA series (hopefully with a Mercury crank) for a 34 Tudor project I started collecting for when I was a kid. I have the truck pan with the large clean-out on the bottom and just picked up a decent car pan. Are there any issues with the truck pan in a 34?

Also may have scored a Mercury crank. I've read to identify that plugs are generally the 5/8 but this one is not - it has the small ones. It does measure over 6 inches perpendicular to the crank across the counter weight. I didn't see any casting like the 1CM or other identifying marks mentioned in the searches. Am I doing that correct? Does anyone have a picture showing that measurement being made?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Did you see my post on the mercury flathead stuff, I found a merc crank and it had the 1CM mark on two of the counterweights, but that was the only identifying mark that was consistant for the merc crank.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I have a Merc crank that has none of the typically identifying marks (no 1CM, no 5/8" cleanout, no dimple), but does measure over 6" across one of the big counterweights...

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Is the crank in an engine? Measure the stroke. Is it out of the engine? Make two "V" blocks out of a piece of 2 X 6. Set the main journals in the notches(while on a bench of course), rotate the crank and measure the height off the bench to the top of a rod journal. Measure twice: once on bottom and once on top. 4" = Merc, 3 3/4" = Ford.

5. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Some of the 8BA pans have a middle sump but you would only need that if there is a clearance problem with the wish bone. If your splitting the bone there should be no pan problem.