Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead motor swap advice tips tricks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody49Ford, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Hey again all,
    Swapping my tired Babbitt 36 Flathead for a insert 37 21 stud Flathead in my 29’ roadster . Aside from figuring out new motor mount riser , adapter due to the lower motor mounts because of water pump placement should it be a pretty straight forward swap? Running electronic dist , power gen all that appears to be a direct swap . Trans is an unsynchronized 36 and it will remain in car . I guess just wondering if anything major will need to be addressed and if anyone makes/sells a lift for the motor which looks close to a 2” difference ( I’m running the typical weld in mounts with the early Ford style donut front motor mounts . Never pulled, swapped a motor before so it’s a learning experience for me . Appreciate all the input, as always .

Attached Files:

continentaljohn likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

This video will give you an idea on steps needed. You can also add a heavy pipe on top of the aftermarket mount to raise the engine to a level position.
    Level the engine at the carb mount. strombergs and holleys are happy at a level position. I ran a 37-21 bolt for quite a few years. Cool engines. Not much aftermarket but the old aftermarket racing goodies are available and not cheap. I’d install the original distributer. Bullet proof. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You can use the 1949-51 Merc motor mount "U shaped" support to raise your engine.
    Easy to make your own. IMG_5054b.jpg .

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

6. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Thank you ! I’ll look into it

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

I currently have a merc motor sitting in "run in " stand that doesn't fit ! The stand was made for all the early v8's I generally deal with, and now the merc with truck pumps has a wider bolt hole pattern on the water pump holes. If you look at the pics of the stock merc mounts pictured above, you can see the offset of the holes thru the frame vs the holes thru the pumps. I have some original merc mounts here, and when I tried to use them in a 34 frame with a 59a they did not line up, so I made my own similar to the ones shown from joes auto. Point is , the merc mounts have a different spacing than joes

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made my own out of 2" square tubing; the "U"-shaped brackets looked a little "flexible" to me. I took notice of the offset required and cut a couple of pieces to mimic that dimension. I drilled a hole for the bottom mounts and one for the top, into which I inserted the proper-sized bolt and welded the head to the inside of the tube.

9. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

appreciate that info that’s good to know

10. Cody49Ford

Cody49Ford

Sounds similar to what I am thinking, yeah the U adapters I have seen must work but look a little iffy personally