Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead mopar plymouth flywheel diameter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plymouth1951, Aug 10, 2017.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the diameter of 51 Flathead Plymouth 218 cubic inch flywheel in inches? I also have a 1957 Plymouth 230 flywheel and am wondering if it is the same size as the 51 flywheel. Thanks for any info , Mike.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just measured the one on my 46 218 engine at 14 inches. The engine in my car is a 56 and I reused the 46 bell housing clutch from the 46. The 56 engine has a 6 bolt flange on it as it is a 230, but the bolt pattern will line up with the four bolt flywheel when correctly indexed. There is a caveat though, some later engines had a different ring gear tooth count so check that. If they don't match you will need to swap the starter or the Bendix gear at the minimum. This also assumes both flywheels were set up for the ten inch clutch, not the 11 used on taxis, and some police cars and other commercial vehicles.

3. Budget36

Budget36

If the diameter is the same, couldn't you just put a new ring gear on the FW? Also, there's an 8 bolt FW as well, and IIRC, it has a different offset, due to the industrial crank flange, pretty sure I've had both....asking more than anything, as I need to look for another L6 soon.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Eight bolt and thicker flange thing for Dodges with fluid drive. Needed to support extra weight and mass of those components. He cited Plymouth as source. Don't know if the hydrive and power flight got the eight bolt deal or not. Don't know where you might source a new ring gear.

5. Budget36

Budget36

The last ring gear I got from a Dodge Powerwagon site, but anyways, I guess there's a difference between Dodge and Plymouths, I'd assumed they were the same...thanks..