Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Mechanic North Jersey??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fifty5C-Gas, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I was comin home from Macungie today in my 51 Ford and Spun a main bearing. It was running hot so I pulled over and added water, checked the oil, needed a quart, added it, went on my way. Comin up a hill, it was struggleing, started a slight knock and beforw I was able to pull over again, spun a bearing, nice loud knock. So I need a flathead mechanic who can get it fixed by next weekend (Lead East). Thanks, Mike.

2. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Really, no one knows anyone in North Jersey that works on flatheads?

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Mike, wish I could help you out and point you in the direction of a good flathead builder. But really there is no way that it would be possible given the time table. By the time you get the necessary components via mail order and the engine comes back from the machine shop (if it spun a bearing the crank will surely need to be cut), Lead East will have come and gone. Roger's Machine shop in Garwood did a nice job on my machine work, and they outsourced the crank machining to The Crank Shop in Montgomery, NY, who did a fabulous job on a sketchy crank. I'd definitely go back to both.

Why not bring the '55 to Lead East?

5. thesupersized

thesupersized

i think he is bringing the 55, his wife was going to bring the shoebox.

mike, are you going to call up Stanley on valley brook?

6. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

55, I work at Kanters auto restoration in Boonton, As the body shop supervisor and our shop works on flat heads. The only problem is were on a short week because were going to have a booth at Lead east to promote the shop in search of new customers and see some of our old customers and friends. You can give our general manager Bill a call and see if we can do anything to help you out for this weekend or to fix it at a later date , the Phone # is 1-973-265-8728 .....Rich

7. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Thanks guys. Yeah Joe, Chris is right, im bringin the 55, Jackie was going to bring the Ford. If it cant get done by Lead East, oh well, I just want to get it done. My other problem is I need an overdrive trans, Im at 2500-3000 on the highway going like 60mph, just to keep up with everyone, if I drive it under 2500rpm im like 50mph. The 3 speed just isnt good enough. Its taching way to high on the highway. I may just do the not so popular thing and put a small block in it, I can run that at 3000 all day.
    Rich, I will call Kanters tomorrow. Chris, Mikey is going to call Stanley tomorrow.

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Mike, Give us a call and ask for me or Bill. And we can also talk our friends that do our trans work,the father and one son own a trans shop and the other son owns a trans parts business and maybe between the two they can help you with the trans stuff..... Rich

9. X2 what Joe said. I had Roger's Speed Shop do machine work on the flat 6 motor for my '39 ply coupe. The motor had a spun bearing. They sent out the crank for repair (crank was welded and then cut), boiled, bored/decked block, installed cam bearings, etc. They did very good work, and very prompt turn-around. Also, they supplied rod & main bearings and saved me a bunch of $$$. The price for the bearings would have been almost $150 more if I had gotten them from Egge. They are basically a machine shop and have been building race motors for cars and boats since the early '60s. Phone; 908-789-1322. Good luck.

10. teddyp

teddyp

hi mike
    seems it was a bad year for fords the 3 places in jerzery are mention but it be hard to get done by lead east maybe someone has a running flathead they would sell cheap just to get car running for now or being it,s your wife car a sbc not a bad ideal then you could put air in it for the kids alot of guy,s use 8 1/2 ford rears if i can help let me know

11. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Yeah Teddy, the more I think about it the better a Small Block sounds....