Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead,Mc culluch supercharger cam choice ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Im in the middle of putting together a 47 flathead using a 3.750 crank as well as a 3.187 bore.A nice clean rebuild yeilding 7or8 to 1.I am more of a naturally asperated guy but this one will be charged.3-5 psi of boost ,what cams have you guys run and why.Any help will be greatly welcomed.

2. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Wow no one out there who built one of these?

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Contact Joe Abbin of Roadrunner Engineering in Albuquerque - he's written a couple of books on blown flatheads. Look him up online.

4. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

the easy choice would be to just ship me that old flathead and get you a shiny new ford 351w. right????

5. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Wow that sounds like a great idea ill do just that!!.....................not

6. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Hi!

Try searching this forum, alot of ideas regarding camshafts.
    Some really knowledgeable guys inn here.
    But, an easy and affordable choice is an Isky max1 or check with Schneider cams. Probably several choices for ya.

Taildragger&fenderless

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have not done it yet so was waiting for others to chime in.

A mild cam is best, like a max1 or stock cam. Valve overlap is the problem with higher performance cams. Lately someone posted a listing of the different stock cams and the later ones would be good with a McCulloch blower. Don't remember if it was here or over on BillB's flathead site. www.flatheadv8.org

I have a tough time going with a mild cam so may give up some performance to get the sound that I like. :) I have a 475 Jr. setting here on the shelf.

Think I found it. Check out BillB's site, in the forum under the thread, "what cam".

I re-read your post. You have the early flathead and the later cam is a different style.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011