Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Mallory unilite/solid core wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Valentines Speed Shop, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hey fellas
    i have been having problems with my stock dual point distributer on my 42 flatty, it haset been accelerating as smooth as normal and when driving down the road it would lose ignition for a second or two then pick it right up. i replaced the coil,resistor, points, condenser,clear red wires,cap,and rotor with no avail. i even ran new wire from the switch and conected a meter to the dist. to see if i was losing voltage goin down the road. i concluded it must be in the distributer,but after inspection and reseting the gap same dang thing!

this was driving me crazy so i broke down and bought a mallory unilite.
    well i get the thing and the first thing i read is
    DO NOT USE WITH SOLID CORE WIRES
    Why the heck not??? i was so mad i almost sent it back! nothing it the catalog said this!
    i really love my translucent red plug wires!
    has anybody ran this setup and got away with it?
    thanks for your help!

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

EMI (electromagnetic interference)
    EMI from spark plug wires can cause erroneous signals to be sent to engine management systems and other on-board electronic devices used on both racing and production vehicles in the same manner as RFI (radio frequency interference) can cause unwanted signals to be heard on a radio receiver. Engine running problems ranging from intermittent misses to a dramatic loss of power can result when engine management computers receive signals from sensors that have been altered by EMI emitted from spark plug wires. This problem is most noticeable on modern production vehicles used for commuting where virtually every function of the vehicle's drive train is managed by a computer. For many reasons, the effect of EMI on engine management computers is never predicable, and problems do become worse on production vehicles as sensors, connectors and wiring deteriorate and corrosion occurs. The problem is often exacerbated by replacing the original ignition system with a high-output system.
    SOLID CORE CONDUCTOR WIRES

Solid metal (copper, tin-plated copper and/or stainless steel) conductor wires are still used in racing on carbureted engines, but can cause all sorts of running problems if used on vehicles with electronic ignition, fuel injection and engine management systems, particularly if vehicle is driven on the street — and damage to some original equipment and modern aftermarket electronic ignition and engine management systems can occur. Solid metal conductor wires cannot be suppressed to overcome EMI or RFI without the addition of current-reducing resistors at both ends of wires.

3. Solid core wires are a no go for MSD boxes also. I learned the hard way back in the 80s.

4. oldcat

oldcat

5. metalman

metalman

Hmmm, I'm running translucent red solid wires on 2 flatheads with Unilights, guess I missed the warning. Haven't had any trouble but geez, now I'll have to worry about it.
    I wouldn't mind changing the wires as long as they look correct, whats the options? Aren't the braided cloth wires solid also?

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Years ago, there were red wire sets at Brent's Auto Supply, they were rubber insulated.
    (1953)
    Tut's Auto Supply also had the red rubber, both these stores were hot rod parts dealers.

It wasn't until '55 I ever saw the translucent red wires that lit up at night. (!)

Taylor now makes red carbon wire with a harder silicon coating that looks like the OLD red wire.
    You can have that translucent sparkler stuff. Try running it with wire looms... LOL

7. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I've been running a Mallory magnetic pulse breakerless crab distributor for two years. I've got a resistance wire (concealed in a loom from the coil to cap), and solid core wires to the plugs. No problems yet. Am I asking for trouble?

8. jalopy45

jalopy45

It sounds more like a fuel hesitation or vapor lock than ignition and the disclaimer for solid core wires is so you can listen to the radio without hearing each plug fire.....and wire it in using a ballast resistor or you'll burn out the module per the instruction sheet.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  9. Thanks for all the replys, i have the mallory votage filteri will use, but im running a alternator and from what ive read the voltage spike thing seams to be more of a generator thing.
    Im not running a radio or anything else for that matter, who needs a radio when youve got uncorked flattie!!!
    i think i might try it and see what happens.
    i never heard of vapor lock causing this problem but ill look into it.
    By the way ive never seen wires that light up?

10. moefuzz

moefuzz

Iremember reading an older catalog and it definatly stated to not use solid wires.

Many people have burned out their unilite distribs because of using solid wires, I'd say you are lucky you caught this before your distrib became wall art.