Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead knock/tap help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Odd ball, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Ok, as title states, we are having some engine noise in a 1950 ford flathead v8, hopefully the video posted is good. No change with fan belts off. We have removed the intake, checked valve clearance(adjustable), all ok. No fuel pump rod, runs on electric. Went ahead and pulled both heads, have not checked valve lift yet, don't have my gauge with me. nothing looks like it has been hitting. Engine starts and runs/drives good with good oil pressure. I am thinking possibly a loose wrist pin, it sounds too high in the engine to be a rod bearing? From the looks of it, this engine has been gone through, no sludge and combustion chambers/water jackets etc. looks clean. Just wanting to know if anyone has any ideas before we dig any deeper.

VIDEO LINK:

Thank you,
    Dan

2. what happens when you rev it up? Does the noise change on acceleration/deceleration?

3. BJR

BJR

Pull the spark plug wires one at a time with the engine running to find the cylinder that is knocking. When the noise changes you found it.

4. Noise changes with RPM's, but doesn't go away

5. we tried the spark plug deal, nothing definitive there. Was really leaning on a loose valve.

6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sticky valve? valve springs ok?

7. I'm going to bring a dial indicator over and measure the lift and check the springs/keepers, we just rotated engine over and checked clearance and made sure none were obviously broken or loose.

8. 1947coupe

1947coupe

I had the same noise in my 47, slight noise at first, after about 6 years just like yours, turned out to be a wrist pin keeper had come out of the piston and the pin was moving side to side and grooved the cylinder wall, had to re sleeve and rebuild the bottom end.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Piston Slap?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

At this point you might as well "pull it" & tear it down for inspection, because if you don't , you will always have the "nagging doubt" that you missed something, & obviously something IS wrong, so why delay the inevitable??

RMR&C and warhorseracing like this.
  11. ADK

ADK

After looking over everything again. We did find this on one of the lifters. Not sure if this could be the culprit or not. Any input on this would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

12. Time to pull the engine and find those pieces before the real bad $iht happens.

flatheadpete likes this.
  13. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

So what happened? what fixed the noise?

14. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If the last pic is a lifter bore you should have it machined and sleeved. Also check the timing gears. It probably has an aluminum cam gear. When these get badly worn they can knock just as you describe . It would sound just like a knocking rod.