Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead/ Inliner race March 27th Surprise, AZ

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 300racr, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Just wanting to invite some HA/GR guys to this race at Speedworld dragstrip in March of 2011. It will be part of the Southwest Nosatlgia drags/Standard 1320.com reunion race that weekend. It will be a special weekend as the track (Mel Larsons' old track) will be celebrating it's 50th birthday.We have had this race for about the last 3 years and it is a fun event with a variety of Flathead & Inline racers.I will have more info by the 1st of next week.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That sounds cool!

3. Would like to thank ClassicInlines.com for stepping up with $1,000 toward the purse. As of now the purse is $500 to win and $250 to runner up with $125 to the semis. I have another sponsor that i'm working with which could possibly add more money to the purse.Gate fee is $25 and race entry fee will be $25 aswell. All of the race entry fee will be going towards the purse also.

4. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

300racr
    Do you have a flyer for this event. That would help to get the info out to more people. I will get the info out to the SDRA members, but will need some more info. The usual stuff; time, location (map), more on the facilities, etc.
    Jr Clark
    CrkInsp

5. CrkInsp, we have a flyer in the works and I am waiting for a few more details from the track before we send it out.Anything you could do to help spread the word would be greatly appreciated.I will post some more info here in the next day or so.
    Thanks, Rich

6. For dinning there is everything from the ususal burger joints to sportsbars such as Applebees along with places such as Outback Steakhouse and RedLobster within 10 miles of the track. Here's a list of hotels close to the track aswell.The 1st two are right off Grand ave. (US60) which is the main route out to the track.
    http://speedworlddragstrip.com/lodging.php

7. TnT Distributing (Torco Oil) here in Phoenix has also put up $100 towards the purse and we would like to Thank them for their support of the race.

8. Sounds like it'll be a blast. I won't have my car ready, but i'll be there to show some support. And for anyone who is worried about food and drinks...there is a Buffalo Wild Wings about 7min from the track.

9. Nailhead, the support would be greatly appreciated.Should have some more info for the race by Wed. We are having a meeting Tuesday about the weekend and should have more details after.

10. *****DATE CHANGE ******

Due to scheduling conflicts between NHRA and another Az track the date has been changed to March 6th, The Flathead/Inliner race will be on the 6th instead of the 27th. The Southwest Nostalgia drags will also be on this date aswell. The weekend will be a full Nostalgia show with the NHRA Heritage series with groups 1 &2 being there along with the Western Fuel Altered gang.The weekend will also Include the 50th Anniversary celebration of the track With a memorabilia display and other festivities. I apologize for any inconvienences the date change may have caused. Rich

11. Here's the event flier:

[​IMG]

12. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hey guys! we don't need to hold our breath until March. Can anyone tell us about some of the unknown cars, like that mid-engine yellow car and others?

13. Joe, don't know if you're looking for HA/GR specific cars but There should be a Flathead in a Dragmaster chassis from New Mexico , A 4 cylinder tempest motor in a rear engine dragster from Colorado,Also these cars .. Taunus runs mid 10's
    [​IMG]
    Maverick runs mid to low 15's & Falcon runs high 10's low 11's
    [​IMG]

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

I'd really been looking forward to making that 27th date. Unfortunately, the change to the 6th may preclude me. I'm still working on making it however, just can't be sure.

15. 97

It'll still be snowing :eek: on March 6 Dick, so you will be good to go for an end of month postponement!!:D:D:D

16. We will also have a get together planned for Saturday night at the track.I believe Steaks & Jambalaya are on the menu along with beverages.
    Old6rodder, hope ya can make it over for the event.

17. Here's some more info for the race;

FRIDAY:

Gates open at 10am
    $35 for car and driver for all 3 days
    $10 1 day crew/spectator
    $40 test and tune 12-5pm

Saturday
    Gates open at 8am
    $25 car and driver 2 day
    $25 crew spectaor 2 day
    $50 test and tune( as time allows)
    $20 test and tune saturday night 7pm -12 am

SUNDAY;
    Gates open at 8 am

$25 car and driver
    $25 crew spectator 1 day

*$25 race fee for the Flathead/ Inliner race, pay and get tech card at the ClassicInlines booth in the Flathead/Inliner pit area*

For those staying at the track we do have shower facilities available that are not to far from our pit area.

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

think i might just have to make the drive and bring my flatty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  19. Gary, neat lil' bantam.What kind of times are you runnin?

20. Getting some responses back from some of the other forums looks like we could have a 16-20+ car field.

21. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Damn, this's looking like a good get together. Enjoy, gentlemen.

I have too much work in now to cut loose for it, won't ease up 'til mid March at best. I'll be bustin' my ass to make ANRA.

Hell, I'm supposed to be retired. :(

22. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

TAKE LOTS OF PICS FOR ME!!!!!!
    I won't be able to go :mad::(:mad::(

23. SIX GUN, I'll try and take pics thru out the weekend. Just checked the weather hopefully should be around high 70's and clear skies the weekend of the race:D

24. Shit, sold ALL my 261 stuff last yr cuz nobody wuz into it. Now there is a place. sob..BUT maybe I can follow up on an old Buick st 8 320? in an altered? glass body? just for a lot of fun not ego stuff.

25. FYI the racer gate will be open until about 10 pm on Friday March 4th for those coming in late.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  26. Also depending on the car count of the Heritage Series there's a possibility of a qualifying pass on Saturday sometime.There will be 2 rounds for sure on Sunday.

27. What a busy weekend!! we had 13 cars show up with only 10 making 1st round due to mechanical issues.We ended up with 2 Ford Inlines,3 Flatheads, 4 slantsixes,2 Chevy Inliners and a Buick straight 8.I'll post more info shortly as I get all my notes sorted out.Thanks again to all who made it and Classic Inlines & TNT Distributing for their generous support of this race.

28. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

what a great race!!! i want to personally thank everybody involved in putting this on. especially Rich and the track crew.
    the event ran very smoothly for such a big race.
    i went to the semi's before losing to Romeo's dart. what a fast 6 that is.
    with the money i won, i didn't even have to pay anything to come to it. which was a big surprise for me too.
    i worked for 36 years and hated it every day. this event i had a ball and got paid too!! how could you ask for more.
    if it happens again, you know i will be there for sure.
    thanks again. flatheadgary.

29. Lets see some pictures......I couldn't make it, had to have one of our 12year old dogs put down due to cancer so it was a family time at home weekend.

30. Gary, Thanks again for comin to the race. It was good to meet you and your brother. Here's some pics from the weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]