Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead I.D.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Degreaser, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Degreaser

Degreaser

hopefully im missing something in the I.D. links shown in tech, but wondering about block markings on an 8BA flathead. mine shows a stamped H31M on the top of the block and a G2903 cast into rear of block. i just pulled it from a 50 ford sedan. Any help is appreciated.

2. Degreaser

Degreaser

Anyone??

3. mtflat

mtflat

Very few of the block casting marks mean anything. At least to anybody alive and online. The stamping however means your engine was assembled July 31, 1950. Probably the original and might be untouched as far as bore. Usually when an engine was rebuilt by factory the assembly date was ground off when the deck was shaved.

4. Degreaser

Degreaser

good to know. i appreciate the response. hell, i might even get her a birthday cake next year.

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

This might help you. Google- Ford Flathead Engine V8 engine-
    Go to Van Pelt Sales.

6. LIMEY

LIMEY

7. Degreaser

Degreaser

funny you should say that. after pulling the motor, i began degreasing it and as i cleaned the pan i said to my buddy, " this thing has no paint and no rust...what the hell? is it aluminum??" i will check it and reply.

8. Degreaser

Degreaser

nope, its steel. my buddy was right...im a dumbass.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A G29 is an early flathead.
    It's nice to have the original block for your car, but other than that there's no real difference among late flathead blocks. Probably only thing other than lack of fatal cracks is presence or absence of hard seats for valves, something that can make life easier during the rebuild. Ford gradually reduced use of hard seats from '49-53, I think using them only in large trucks at the end, as accountants took over control in the Ford reform after Henry's death. This is also a crapshoot, since most blocks have been through commercial exchange rebuilds a time or two by now and are randomly distributed regardless of original use.

10. Degreaser

Degreaser

"mtflat" mentioned above that, according to the markings, is was assembled July 31, 1950. would that mean they were still assembling early style blocks at that date?

11. Degreaser

Degreaser

aahhh. nevermind. i must have skipped over "exchange"

12. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

13. Degreaser

Degreaser