Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead help/info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voodoocreep, Aug 3, 2013.

1. voodoocreep

voodoocreep

I recently picked up two 8ba flatties. One is almost all rust and is soaking in molasses right now. The other was supposedly running, and has a few speed goodies on it. I'm looking for info on the better of the two.
    Firstly- The motor came with aluminum sharp heads(not sure what year), an Edmunds custom dual Carb intake, and two 97's.
    Second- The coolant passages were filled with all sorts of junk (assumedly from using green coolant). Would this cause any damage to the heads? Any precautions with getting them vatted and machined?
    Third and most importantly and advice for someone new to rebuilding and hopping up a flathead?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Check the FordBarn-get JWL's book,Tex Smith & Ron Holleran(sp?).Also
    Walt DuPont.

3. flathead26

flathead26
    from tampa

I am thinking that the best approach would be to disassemble the motors and have the block, rods and crank cleaned and checked for cracks and go from there.Also it would be a wise to thouroughly clean all oil passageways including the crank and install a full flow oil pump kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFESuvjjRSo

God's, Speed Flathead26