Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead65, Apr 12, 2014.

1. motorhead65

motorhead65
    from VA

The stock single exhaust on my at the moment complely bone stock 1953 Customline is about to fall off. Sound like a perfectly good excuse for headers and duals, any suggestions on fitment and pros and cons on different brands would be a big help.

2. Tudorp

Tudorp

When I got my 53, and went on a treasure hunt through the seats and trunk, I found these burried deep in the trunk. One is not finished and just needs the finish welds and coating, but I been thinking about finishing them and putting them on my Flathead with some dual flow masters.

[​IMG]

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So you're saying to go dig through the trunk? :)

Those are nice, we should all be so lucky. I've been pondering adding headers too, though my understanding is they don't do a whole lot for Ford flatheads (since the exhaust has to wind it's way through the block), particularly stock ones.

4. big bad john

big bad john

Fenton cast headers are about $300 and the cheaper weld ones are about $170 for flatheads. both will serve you well. I have two flatheads with these headers.....I also have 2" pipes with no mufflers on both cars....very little back pressure so don't waste your money on fancy mufflers also never a problem with the police for loud noise....both cars sound .very sweet.

5. Tudorp

Tudorp

You dont run a muffler? Doest the ox sensor send an error message to the ecm without one? BWAAAHAHAHA... ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive built two pairs. One from the speedway kit and one from u bends and a 35 ford drive shaft, like b.b.john said you dont need mufflers. if you have the fundage i would go with the fenton cast irons.

7. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Can't go wrong with Red's Headers. They usually sell "extensions" to get you to the muffler, well worth it IMO.

8. motorhead65

motorhead65
    from VA

I like the cast iron headers and the savings from not buying mufflers would almost make up the difference in price between the tube headers.Do you or anyone else know anything about the patrick smoothie headers , they are cast iron and look almost identical to the fentons and are $50 cheaper depending on shipping costs ?

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Were flathead headers called headers before OHV engines became hot rod material? Seems like they should be called blockers.

Bed time..:)