Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead headers and exhaust size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Jul 23, 2006.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Anybody used the Speedway cheapo headers for the v8 flatheads and had any problems? Ive heard some people complain of the tube headers not fitting around the steering box in a shoebox correctly, even though they are supposed to. i dont mind a little modification. Im a broke ass college kid so cheap is the name of the game. Anywhere i can get the extension tubes or would i just be better off making a set? thanks

second question.....exhaust size. Whats the best size exhaust tubing to run a street driven unmodified/slightly modified 8ba? I was told 1.5". planning on straight through duals out the back. mufflers are a maybe, but i enjoy pissing off the neighbors and i love the sound of a flatty uncorked

2. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

3. I don't know about Speedway. I got mine from Red's (they're not on the car yet so I can't give you a full report).

http://www.reds-headers.com/

They were really good to deal with, and they know the fitting issues with shoeboxes.

4. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

The world's quickest and fastest flathead drag car (7's at over 170 mph) used 1.5" exhaust valves. Virtually every competition flathead I can think of uses 1.5" exhaust valves. I plan to use 1.5" exhaust valves in my competition engine. I think they're plenty big enough for the street.

5. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

I had tube headers that were 1-1/2 primary where the front tied to the middle tied to the rear port, similar to the ones on Red's site, and opened to a 2 inch flange, then 2 inch all the way to the four pipe "shotgun" "scavenger pipes". 24" steel packs; nice deep RRumble. They were custom made. This was on a '51 Ford 2 dr, with a "warm" 8BA. The year was 1959.

6. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Sorry, I'm an idiot. I thought you wrote exhaust valve rather than exhaust tube.

7. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

8. 47bob

47bob

I have Red's headers and head pipes on my 47 and they fit very good with no conflict with the steering box.

9. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I run the speedway lake headers and 1 3/4" pipe to the rear with no muffs. This is on a basically stock flatty and it works well, and sounds great.

10. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Just built these headers using the speedway kit and some mandrel bends. Cut , fit and then heliarc together. 1 5/8 primary tube to 1 7/8 main pipe. Has cap that can be loosened and rotated to go uncorked then covered to run thru glass packs out the rear.

Attached Files:

11. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

oops the flat is a 1948 59AB