Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead head gasket question about valve clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diavolo, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Diavolo

Diavolo

The short story is I am running 1.6 valves in my 8BA, bought the high compression Edelbrock heads.

Test fit and spun the crank and my exhaust valves are scraping the insides of the heads. I didn't bend any valves but I need to clearance the area around the exhaust valves. Here is my question.

If I buy Big Bore head gaskets, will I have the extra clearance around the exhaust? The current standard copper gaskets are right next to the cutout for the valves on the head and I don't see how I can clearance that area without leaving some of the head gasket hanging in the combustion chamber. I literally only need about .050 room to get the clearance around the valves.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have the same setup. There are no locating dowels in the block so the heads can move a bit as there is clearance around the head bolts. Hold the heads and the gasket up as close to the intake as possible and tighten down the head bolts. I would also check the clearance with Plasticine(modeling clay). Use an old head gasket and tighten the heads down. If you don't have enough clearance, take a bit out as req'd with a die grinder.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER