Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead harvesting (tranny ID)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Apr 24, 2012.

1. i pulled the cabs off of my 38 and 40 ford coe's last night.
    todays job is to pull the engines out and put them away for future use.
    i'm wondering about the trannys... can someone ID them, are they a useable type for future hot rod builds?
    i have no knowledge of vintage manual transmissions, so any help will be appreciated:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Most likely non-synchro 4 speeds--totally useless for any hot Rod/car application.

3. Yeah, spur gear trannies for sure...but save the "hogsheads", or the part bell with the clutch fork in it. They can be used for a T-5 swap....

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Reverse lockout trigger on the shifter is a dead give away for early 4sp trans.

Interesting exhaust "fix" in the second picture. *second thought that's just the upper hose layer there. Doh!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

5. barry wny

barry wny

Save rear trans cover /trans mount, saddle, ujoint and even the squirrely pedals and master cyl. mount, you just never know... Vin # is on the hogshead, get a scratching of them

6. The trans in my 49 COE was the huge non-synchro 4 speed. I saved the hoghead and the front bearing retainer and sold to someone doing the modern trans swap. Rest of trans became recycle scrap. I did save the trans mounted parking brake lever and sold that at a swap meet.