Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Gurus---> Tightest & Lowest Fan Location ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nailheadroadster, Apr 19, 2018.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I'm in search of some wisdom that I'm sure some of you guys possess... and hopefully are willing to please pass it along.

The scenario: 8BA behind a Model T radiator & shell, mounted in a Model A frame. Obviously fabrication and welding is a "must". I need the fan to sit as low as possible, so it doesn't stick over the top of the upper radiator tank and will cool with the best performance, as Houston summers tend to get slightly warm.

The situation: The mechanical fan typically sits too high to fit behind a T radiator and/or wants to share the same space as the upper radiator hoses.

The radiator: What radiator is recommended to fit a stock 26-27 T shell? I'm not interested in one of the radiators that "don't require" a shell... I have a great shell and want to use it. Does anyone have first hand experience for this application? Walker, Griffin, Brassworks, etc? I know good radiators are not cheap and a cooling system that runs hot, really sucks.

The water pumps: I know there are several sources for them. Which ones to buy? Where to buy them? Part numbers? Years used? Car? Truck?

The pulleys & belts: Dual groove? Single groove? Thick belt? Thin belt? What years used? Where to buy them? Part numbers? Lengths?

The fan & bracket: I'm thinking it needs to be adjustable... or not, dunno. What bracket will allow me to have the fan centralized to the radiator core? What fan will bolt to bracket? Where to buy? What years used? Custom idler assembly?

On a related note: The intake I will be using is a Freiman two pot and the carb spacing does not allow for a center mounted generator. Due to the dizzy placement on the passengers side, I'm thinking the generator will need to be offset to the drivers side. Advice? Comments? Instructions? Best parts to use?

Since everyone likes pictures, here's the flatty that's gonna get all the parts you guys recommend.
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me! 50 flatty.jpg

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’ll let those who own a T with a flatty provide the spacing issues you have.
    But I will suggest that you change out your original distributor. They are of poor design and when running dual 94 carbs ( Strombergs will not work)the Venturi vacuum ports will not provide adequate vacuum for your advance.
    I’d suggest an MSD electronic or one of Bubbas conversions.
    Pumps. Being in hot Texas I’d suggest you buy one of skips pumps in Punta Gorda, fla. The redesigned impellers provide more volume than anything on the Market. A lot of guys in Florida use them.
    Finally. It’s best to get your flatty running while using the single carb manifold. Then when happy change it over to your dual carbs.

http://www.bubbasignition.com/about-us.html

Skips pumps.
    http://forums.aaca.org/topic/96487-skips-water-pumps/

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    nailheadroadster likes this.
  3. flatjack

flatjack

I know it means changing the cam, but the crab distributor with car pumps and a 59A fan assembly will be the shortest you will find. Pumps from Drake or Speedway are just fine.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a lot of help, I have the 8BA though and I run water pumps from H and H, they have an improved impeller design and cool better. I have a 471 in the way so I run a power gen off the left head, a Navarro bracket from H and H. I use an electric fan due to the constraints of the afore mentioned blower. It is mounted in a custom fan shroud low in the radiator. . I run a MSD distributor.

5. alchemy

alchemy

A stock 40 fan mounts straight on the crank. Would that place it low enough for you? We don't have any real idea how high your engine is in your chassis. How about you prop your engine in the frame, place the grille on there, and snap us a side pic so we can see how they fit together?

If the 40 is too low, you could always modify the stock fan brackets of 46-48 passenger, 49-52 pickups, or 49-53 passenger. All those in the stock location would probably be too high, but you could fab a new bracket to make them lower.

nailheadroadster and alanp561 like this.
  6. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Like alchemy suggested you need to mock it up in the frame and go from there. There's a lot of options.

You can run duel sheaves with wide belts if you have the room. I like the look, but it's not necessary. Water pumps do not take much effort or wrap or to work properly and the wide belts take more effort to adjust.

Something else that may help is run a cut down chevy dizzy, the shaft is longer and the body will extend up further which may help with belt clearance.

You can go with an offset generator bracket, by shimming up it with spacers and longer head bolts to clear the water outlet on the head.

Belt length is the last thing to worry about, I would measure it the best you can and buy a couple of sizes larger and smaller, you will probably still go back to the auto store for different ones.

7. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Here's what I did to clear the water outlet
    [​IMG]