Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead gurus...I need a "hot rodder's resource" manual

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corndog, May 14, 2018.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I hate to admit it on this forum but I have never rebuilt a Ford flathead in my life...so far. But I came home from Columbus, Ohio this weekend with a pretty nice hot rod 8BA flathead V-8 in my trailer. The plan is for me to make sure this engine will work well for my son Scott in his TROG build.
    While I have never done anything previously with a flathead, I am not a rookie at engine building. I have built many other engines, mostly Chevrolet. But what I would like to do before I start this flathead project is to buy a GOOD engine-build manual so I can read about the process before I actually do anything. I have looked on-line and have found several but I want some HAMB recommendations before I buy anything. I don't want a basic theory book, I want one that gives me good hot rodding tips for building a nice souped up 8BA. Please offer up what has worked well for you! and thanks in advance!

2. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

I hate to say this, but being a completely visual learner I am a huge fan of youtube . I don't mind a couple of the flathead books, but actually watching someone put one together is amazing.

3. M42

M42

4. 6sally6

6sally6

I'll throw this out there.........
    IF I had a question about what-to-do-to-a-Ford-flathead-engine to make it scoot...I'd make a post on Speed Talk. There are some/many engine pros on there that can tell you what works and how to do it!!
    Sometimes they go a little off the deep end on some discussions but.....you can believe there is some knowledge on that board!!!
    6sally6

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Ron Holloran's "Nostalgia" best reading ever

Jet96 likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is on the BanditBilly 10 best list
    upload_2018-5-16_13-44-26.png
    The first chapter and verse of Joe's book should have read;
    In the beginning, Henry created the flathead Ford...than all hell broke loose.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. cederholm

cederholm
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Salina, KS

This should be an excellent thread, maybe with links to other threads & good tips.
    I've heard a few dirt track racers,70-80yrs old with "shop talk". A really good DETAILED resource of tips, kinda "Flathead Ford's for Dummies". DO'S & DON'Ts, tips would be of great benefit.

. . .

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Tools. There are flathead specifc tools to make it very easy to work on flatheads.

You can make them but I would buy them. The valve guide puller and spring compressor. Not very expensive at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you use a machine shop that knows flatheads. JMHO

11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

vern tardel's book is one of the best.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Check for cracks before you get too enthused .Dont forget around the main webs and down the centre exst valve ports . bout 60% fail rate .

13. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Unfortunately one book that covers everything hasn't been written yet that I know of. A lot of ways to improve flatheads, getting the total combinations right is more critical for good results than on most other engine designs. Many good books listed above, I've got a good portion of them plus others. One not mentioned yet that I've found very informative is "Flathead Facts" by John W Lawson.

Ed

Jet96 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

corndog:
    First, get block magnafluxed and baked.
    Take plenty of photos.
    Mark your main and connecting bearing caps and don't mix them up.
    "Bag" all nuts and bolts. Don't leave them loose.
    Bore engine as little as possible if building a "stocker".
    Don't throw anything away.
    Use engine stand with 4 casters.
    Don't tap threaded holes. Chase them.
    If your connecting rods have oil holes be sure to reinstall them facing the correct direction.
    Use high quality connecting rod nuts.
    Install adjustable lifters