Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead getting hot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigshawn, May 23, 2011.

1. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

210 is still high. Sure, it won't cause catastrophic failure but I've had multiple flatties and no matter if their a new rebuild or a worn motor,with a clean radiator, the right cap, and a good tune the highest I've sen has been 190...... I'd still try a 4 lbs cap.

2. Put in new temp gauge today and went for a little drive 10 min or so read about 160 on gauge top of heads around 170 -180 top of rad about 180 front of block about what the gauge said so i guess im ok I will know more when i go for a longer cruise this weekend if no hail stoms

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Excellent! Another falsely accused flathead:D

4. Ha Ha I hope so i really want to drive this thing alot this summer

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on, Tommy! Patient, knowledgeable and informed diagnosis is the key to efficient repair & maintenance.
    Shortcuts are no substitute.

6. flthd

flthd

Yeah my 59a dash gauge will peg out on a hot day,checked her with a temp gun 190-200 on a 95 degree day.

7. Went for about an hour cruise each way this weekend and all good new mechanical gauges were reading arond 170 or so when driving and only shot up higher when I parked but no where near over heating

8. 53Crestline

53Crestline

That's good know! As I'm going through the EXACT same thing with our newly rebuilt flatty in the '53!!!

Just going to start the "testing" phase of my ordeal this evening.