Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead generator mount questain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jun 3, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

Hey guys. I'm building a 8BA , my first (always been partial to the 59As) for a customer. Anyway, we have an Offy triple intake on it. He brought me a Powergen for it as well as an Offy left side offset generator mount. I got it all mocked up and I don't see how it's going to work, the generator still runs into the carb at the fuel fitting and I'm not seeing an easy way to get a radiator hose on. I realize the Powergen is slightly bigger then a stock generator but I don't think even a stocker would fit. How are you 8BA guys dealing with mounting a generator on with triple carbs? DSC_0275.JPG

2. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

H and H flatheads sells an offset generator bracket for the 8BA

3. Slopok

Slopok

I have a stock generator and use a bracket that is offset to the passenger side. Sorry, thought I had better pictures. 088.JPG 089.JPG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  4. Slopok

Slopok

Let's see if this is any better. Not too good at this shit!o_O
    010.JPG 011.JPG

5. Slopok

Slopok

You will have to modify the water outlet configuration. That's all I got.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

7. alchemy

alchemy

Stromberg sells a banjo fitting that fits tighter to the carb than the one you have now. And somebody (maybe vintage part, I have an old one on the shelf) sold a water neck with a more sideways slant to get the hose around the side of the generator. Check the usual suspects for one of those (Speedway, Flathead Jack, H and H).

8. metalman

metalman

Thanks for the replies. I had opted for the left mount since the distributor is on the right, I see now it would of worked better on the right.
    I did see they sell water necks that point outward instead of straight up, that's an easy fix. The necks on it now were in bad shape anyway, customer had them chromed but they still look like sh-- so no loss in my book.
    Since I can't return the mount we bought (of course I polished it before I tried it) I think I'll try cutting it up and extending it a bit to clear the carb fittings I have now. Hate to spend any more money on more parts if I can make what I have work.
    Lot's of notes to self on 8BA quirks that are different then the 59's I'm use to.

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

also, some guys use the little kobuta tractor alternator on one of those "slingshot" mounts. it doesn't put out a ton of amps, but it'll clear a 3x2 or a super-dual.

10. carbking

carbking

As far as your fuel fitting clearance:

I have posted a number of times here that the so-called Stromberg 97 is just the Ford version of the Stromberg type EE-1 carburetor. EE-1 carbs were used on many other applications.

The fuel valves on other EE-1's have a totally different head than Henry wished to use on the Ford. Just as an example, the fuel valve used on the Buick EE-1 has a head which is a 1/4 inch shorter than the Ford head, and the threads are female 1/8 pipe, so you could use a street ell fitting and probably reduce the space from your current stuff by 3/4 of an inch, maybe more.

Did not check other applications, but would GUESS other threads available would be female inverted flare and male 1/8 pipe.

Jon.

11. I know you've got the generator look going here but there was a very complete flathead article series in Shop Magazine some years back that had a whole chapter (6) on mounting an '81 Mustang Bullit style alternator centered on an 8BA with 3 deuces. He used a Tuff Stuff 7781 alternator on his. Article probably won't show the pics but I've got them somewhere.
    I just finished mounting one on a 59AB with a mechanical fan setup, too. Pics of that are on my shop computer, and I'm at home - so, as per HAMB rules, it never happened. (But it did)

RichieC likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking at your pic can't you screw that banjo fitting directly to the carb, or make an adapter so you could, and gain some space that way?

13. metalman

metalman

Umm, no. The brass fitting the banjo is screwed into is the needle and seat, think I'll need them!
    Got it fixed. Cut the bracket in two and added 3/4" to it to move the generator out. Barely touches the banjo when the bracket is all the way down, clears just fine when it's pulled up to tighten the belt. PIA, next time right side bracket.
    Other the waiting for some new straight out water necks it's good to go, waiting on the owner to pick it up!
    DSC_0279.JPG DSC_0276.JPG

210superair and The 39 guy like this.
  14. Very nice Flatty...

15. Jason Mitchell

Jason Mitchell
    from Memphis TN

Im now going through this exact same problem.

16. jimvette59

jimvette59

Move the Generator back one hole to line up belt. Look on the bottom of the generator there should be two holes and the belt goes on the water pump pulleys to the back of the crank case pulley. JMO

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021