Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Fuel Pump Push Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves46, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

If I was to covert over to using an electric fuel pump full time on my flathead, would it be ok to leave the mechanical fuel pump push rod in place and install a cover plate? Thanks.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

No...you could leave the old pump for looks and hide the electric pump and you wouldn't loose oil pressure !

4. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Upon removing the fuel pump stand to gain access to remove the push rod, something doesn't look right with the baffle. It looks like someone used JB weld or something else to hold the baffle in-place. My thoughts to take a screwdriver and try to gently hammer through in order to free-up the baffle so that I can remove the push rod. Is there a better way to go about this or am I on-track? Steve
    Baffle.jpg

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The baffle should pop right out of there. If you do have to ruin it by stabbing it be sure to replace it with a new one. Why are you removing it in the first place?

6. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I am tired of the vapor lock problems here in Florida so I am switching over to an electric fuel pump. I need to remove the push rod and this baffle situation at the moment is preventing me from doing so.

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I have an electric pump on a 59A and left the cut down fuel pump rod in ( shorten the bottom and the top but keep the umbrella ) to help with the oil pressure. I really didn't see any improvement except the oil vapor seems to be less now.

8. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Improvement in what regards? Less vapor lock episodes? Even if I wanted to shorten the rod, I will need to get this baffle out of the way.

Sgt. John likes this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Is that weld on top of your intake bolts on the left side??

11. Looks like an acorn nut Petejoe.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No sorry meant right side. Those I don't believe are acorns. ??

13. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

That is the grounding strap on the right side.

14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Sorry, I meant oil pressure increase improvement, but the shortened fuel pump rod does work and keeps the oil vapor from coming into the valley which it shouldn't because it cause it to smoke more.

15. Mac VP

Mac VP

Steve.....don't worry about the tube if it's damaged in removal. We have plenty of them in our NOS parts.

16. mark hogan

mark hogan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve thinking mine has an oil fill tube in that place no rod or baffle. It came that way. Don’t know if will create a problem till I fire it up. Getting close. Punta Gorda Fl area myself (30 coupe)