Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Ford water temp and oil press. senders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weathrmn, Dec 17, 2009.

1. weathrmn

weathrmn

I have the original water temperature senders for my engine, a 51 Merc. Can they be used with the 40 ford temp guage and is there a way to test them before installing them.

Also, is there a part number or compatable oil sender for a 40 ford. Local parts store's book doesn't go back that far.

Thanks, Tony

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Should be able to get the oil sender at any Early V8 Parts Vendor, try Dick Spadaro!
    Ask them about the temp units too.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

The 2-pole sender is actually a switch and the single-pole unit is the actual measuring device. You should be able to wire as original with the '40 dash units and test with the senders in a pan of water and a candy thermometer.

Here's how to wire up the temp gauges (reverse polarity on battery if Neg. ground:

[​IMG]

Oil pressure sender wiring:

[​IMG]

The dash temp gauge should read HOT with no power. When powered it will go towards COLD.

Hope this helps.

Jim

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And try your originals before going to repros...they are usually good.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The OEM Ford temp sender units were made by King Sealy Co (KS). The 2 terminal unit is the switch and has a number stamped on it according to the rad. pressure cap that should be used. The single terminal unit is unmarked because it is only the "sender". The number on the 2 terminal unit is an indicator of which radiator cap should be used. Perhaps someone can list the temp sender King Sealy numbers and what pressure rad. cap they correspond to.

I think any of the temp sending units and oil sending units out of any 59AB engine will work for you. I have a 1953 8BA in my 40 Ford and used the temp and oil pressure sending units out of an 8BA engine and they work fine using the 6 volt electrical system. They are frequently for sale on Esway.

6. weathrmn

weathrmn

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

Tony

7. yblock292

yblock292

can the single terminal sender be used by itself? Need to run a flathead temp sender in my 50 shoebox with a 265 in it. Stock guages converted to 12 volts. Used the flathead oil pressure sending unit and works real good.

8. fcarnut

fcarnut

I run the stock single wire temp sender on my 351 W motor in my '41 Ford along with the stock gauge. The oil pressure is a different ball game. The '40 ford had a 50 lb sender while the '51 has an 80lb. I don't think your reading will be correct. I'm using the 50 lb on the 351 as well. These senders are not reproduced and are a bit pricey. My 2cents. Good luck!

9. yblock292

yblock292

Great Thanks, the oil pressure sender was out of the original 50 flathead that was in the car, but i can't find the friggin temp senders!

10. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Try Joblot.com for the temp sender(s) you probably only need the single pole sender for the 265 block.

Jim